Shortcuts for navigating tabs

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

gopher_everett
User

Shortcuts for navigating tabs

Post by gopher_everett »

Hello,

When multiple PDF files (tabs) are open in PDF-XChange Viewer, is there a way to:

1) specify or go to a specific tab using only the keyboard (i.e. without the mouse)?
2) navigate to adjacent tabs using only the keyboard?

For example, at the moment, I'm typing in Google Chrome and have multiple tabs open. I don't know how to jump to a specific tab without the mouse but I can move to an adjacent tab (left or right) by pressing Ctrl+PgUp or Ctrl+PgDn respectively.

Those same two combination keys have the same function in Excel.

I found a chart listing keyboard shortcuts for PDF-XChange Viewer here: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowled ... -Shortcuts
but I could not see that it included anything for navigating tabs.

Thanks
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Shortcuts for navigating tabs

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Using ALT + W to reach the Window menu, and using cursor-keys Up or Down to select a PDF and pressing Enter to show it, is probably not an alternatif for the shortcut keys that you are looking for ?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello All,

Using Ctrl-Tab should go to the next opened tab in our Viewer/Editor and using Ctrl-Shift-Tab should go to the previous.

Using Atl-W will indeed open the Window menu from which you can select to jump to any file directly.

There is also a "Show all open document's thumbnails" command in our Viewer which doesn't have a default key - but one could be assigned to it and used to call this window with the keyboard only.

Regards,
Stefan
Mickets
User

Post by Mickets »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hello All,

Using Ctrl-Tab should go to the next opened tab in our Viewer/Editor and using Ctrl-Shift-Tab should go to the previous.

Regards,
Stefan
I landed here while looking for this control in PDF Editor 3.0 Build 307.0.

I have some documents open, actually tables with results with minor differences, which I need to compare.

I want to toggle/cycle through the tabs to quickly compare some visually some of the values to see if there are any differences.

I do this in Excel, by holding together <CTRL><TAB>. But in PDF Editor, I just can't seem to find a combination of keys that will cycle through the open documents. I've tried even combinations of keys with mouse scroll, mouse scroll over tabs, page up/down, combinations of key modifiers (CTRL, SHIFT, ALT etc).

And I couldn't find anything about this in the manual.

Can you please point me to the right key combination?

Thank you
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the post - there seems to be an issue with the current build where Ctrl + Tab (Next Document) and Ctrl + Shift + Tab should be cycling through and aren't.

This issue has already been fixed and should be present for the next service release.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
chesscourt
User

Post by chesscourt »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi guys,

Thanks for the post - there seems to be an issue with the current build where Ctrl + Tab (Next Document) and Ctrl + Shift + Tab should be cycling through and aren't.

This issue has already been fixed and should be present for the next service release.

Cheers,
Hi,
I encountered a problem with using the shortcut Ctrl+Tab to toggle through the open documents since the last build 2.5.214.2.
Using this shortcut has worked perfectly so far, but since 2.5.214.2 it doesn't anymore. Instead this shortcut now changes the zoom factor of a document or toggles to another document.
I stepped back to 2.5.214.1 and it works perfectly as before.
Is that issue fixed, as you mentioned in your message?
Lovely regards,
Chesscourt
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

hI Chesscourt,

It's working correctly for me in 214.2. CTRL+Tab cycles through open documents (tabs) and CTRL+Shift+Tab cycles through the tabs in the reverse direction.

When you say:
or toggles to another document.
what does this mean? This is what is wanted no? Next document?

The first thing I'd be doing is exporting my settings to file (Edit --> Export all Settings to data file...) as a back up you can restore settings from, then resetting to defaults. That should correct this I expect.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
chesscourt
User

Post by chesscourt »

Last edited by chesscourt on Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
chesscourt
User

Post by chesscourt »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote:hI Chesscourt,

It's working correctly for me in 214.2. CTRL+Tab cycles through open documents (tabs) and CTRL+Shift+Tab cycles through the tabs in the reverse direction.

When you say:
or toggles to another document.
what does this mean? This is what is wanted no? Next document?

The first thing I'd be doing is exporting my settings to file (Edit --> Export all Settings to data file...) as a back up you can restore settings from, then resetting to defaults. That should correct this I expect.

hth
Oh, seems that I've been too quick with my observation in PDFXChange Viewer.
Now, I have checked out what is really going on.
When I have some documents opened in PDFXChange Viewer 2.5.214.2 I can toggle through the documents with Ctrl+Tab. That works fine.
But I detected that the shortcuts
Ctrl+"+" or Ctrl+"-"
Ctrl+"+" (Ten-key pad) or Ctrl+"-" (Ten-key pad)
Shift+Ctrl+"+" or Shift+Ctrl+"-"
Shift+Ctrl+"+" (Ten-key pad) or Shift+Ctrl+"-" (Ten-key pad)
also toggle through the documents!
In former builds these shortcuts have not existed, due to my experience.

What the problem is: I have always set the shortcuts described above to zoom in or out, as in many other graphic software these shortcuts work the same way.
Now (since build 214.2) there seems to be an overlap of these functions.
When I have only one document opened, no problem occurs because e.g. Ctrl+"+" just zooms in.
When I have more than one document opened Ctrl+"+" (or Ctrl+"+" (10-key pad), in the same way) zooms in AND toggles to the next document !!
The shortcut executes both functions simultaneously.
When I step down to build 214.1 the problem has vanished.

To my usage of the Viewer the best would be to cancel the function of toggling through the documents by the shortcuts mentioned above.
However Ctrl+Tab should be sustained anyhow.

PS: In PDFXChange Editor (build 307.2) I do not see these problems of overlapping shortcuts.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello chesscourt,

Could it be that you've set some custom shortcut keys in the Viewer and those are causing the shortcut conflicts you are experiencing?
Each of the shortcuts you are mentioning is working for me (and Paul) just as in previous builds.

Did you try Paul's suggestion to export all settings to data file and then use Edit -> Reset All Settings to Default and see if that will help?

Regards,
Stefan
Olethros
User

Post by Olethros »

I've noticed that the problem seems to be connected to the way the program traps the CTRL+TAB key combination or perhaps CTRL+[TAB,TAB]. Whichever command you assign to CTRL+TAB will be triggered after any CTRL+[key] combination. Resetting all preferences makes no difference as far as I've been able to tell. The only way to avoid this is to not have any command assigned to CTRL+TAB.

(WinXP x86 PDFXV v2.5 build 214.2)
chesscourt
User

Post by chesscourt »

Olethros wrote:I've noticed that the problem seems to be connected to the way the program traps the CTRL+TAB key combination or perhaps CTRL+[TAB,TAB]. Whichever command you assign to CTRL+TAB will be triggered after any CTRL+[key] combination. Resetting all preferences makes no difference as far as I've been able to tell. The only way to avoid this is to not have any command assigned to CTRL+TAB.

(WinXP x86 PDFXV v2.5 build 214.2)
Wow, Olethros, you perfectly discovered that strange behaviour.
This is exactly what my PDF-XChange Viewer does.
But only build 214.2. Build 214.1 does not, although the same settings are active.
[Win8.1Pro 64Bit PDFXV v2.5 build 214.2]
chesscourt
User

Post by chesscourt »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hello chesscourt,

Could it be that you've set some custom shortcut keys in the Viewer and those are causing the shortcut conflicts you are experiencing?
Each of the shortcuts you are mentioning is working for me (and Paul) just as in previous builds.

Did you try Paul's suggestion to export all settings to data file and then use Edit -> Reset All Settings to Default and see if that will help?

Regards,
Stefan
Hi,
I tried to export all settings, and then I reset all settings to defaults.
This changed nothing, everything as described before.
There really seems to be a linking form every shortcut including "Ctrl" to the shortcut "Ctrl"+TAB, as Olethros discovered (see below).
But only in build 214.2, in build 214.1 I do not notice this issue (after I have stepped back to 214.1).
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi All,

Problem reproduced with the Viewer and ticket created:
#2371: Viewer 214.2: Issue with Ctrl-Tab operation

It is not present in the Editor though.

Cheers,
Stefan
tender56
User

Post by tender56 »

Hi all,
I know I am using an old release (v2.5 build 211.0) But what I can read here let me know that my issue still exist.
Functionality of crtl+tab (in German strg+tab):

How it works: crtl+tab toggles through open tabs in a circle.
How I want to work it: crtl+tab should toggle to my previous seen/used file.

So with the current functionality of ctrl+tab, when 5 files are open in my pdf-viewer, I have to press one-time and later on four-time to toggle between two files back and forth.

In some applications this function is selectable.
Again my wish is that it should work like alt+tab under windows.
kr tender
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello kr tender,

Welcome to our forums.
You can use Ctrl-Shift-Tab to go to the previous tab.

Regards,
Stefan
tender56
User

Post by tender56 »

Hello Stefan,
Thank for fast reply. But your suggestion will not work.

Shift+crtl+tab will only open the previous left tab. And not my previous seen pdf.

When you have five open PDFs: 1 2 3 4 5
It is not very user friendly to compare file 2 and 4.
kind regards tender
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi tender56,

Yes in this case it's not quite convenient, but you can drag the tabs and reorder them so the two you want to compare are one next to the other.
Or better yet - download the new Editor:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product ... nge-editor
And drag the two tabs you want to compare outside of the main editor window - this will open them in a new instance of the Editor, and you can "Alt-Tab" between just these two files easily.

Regards,
Stefan