Sharpen the appearance of text in PDF-XChange viewer

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

gopher_everett
User

Sharpen the appearance of text in PDF-XChange viewer

Post by gopher_everett »

Hello,

After 7-8 trials of different free PDF readers, I finally found and tried PDF-XChange Viewer. I really like the layout as well as the accessibility, scope & intuitiveness of the editing tools.

Two questions:

1) Is there a way to clean up or sharpen the appearance of text? I noted that when the same PDF file is viewed at comparable zoom settings in different free PDF readers, the PDF-XChange Viewer text seems a bit fuzzier. It would be nice if there's a setting or two that might improve that.

2) Is there a way to always have the top of a page essentially "snap to" the top of the window viewing area. For example, suppose with your zoom set to 75% and the top of a page (say pg 17) of a document perfectly positioned at the top of the PDF-XChange Viewer window viewing area, you can see that one full page (17) plus about 20% of the next page (18).

In this case, pressing the PageDn key on the keyboard results in a "jump down" in the document equivalent to the full height of the viewing area. In other words, the top 20% of page 18 which was previously visible, is now obscured and the bottom 80% can be seen along with about 40% of the next page (19).

Can something be set so that the "jump down" height is just enough to keep the top of each subsequent page always positioned exactly at the top of the viewing area?

Thanks
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Sharpen the appearance of text in PDF-XChange viewer

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi gopher_everett,

thanks for the post and for using PDF-XChange.
1) Is there a way to clean up or sharpen the appearance of text? I noted that when the same PDF file is viewed at comparable zoom settings in different free PDF readers, the PDF-XChange Viewer text seems a bit fuzzier. It would be nice if there's a setting or two that might improve that.
PDFs should be rendering as well in the Viewer as other software. If you have some examples where you see this is not the case can I ask you to send them and we'll rtake a look. Typically we will compare our rendering against Adobe Reader's rendering. If you can supply screen shotss illustrating the difference that would be very helpful too.
Can something be set so that the "jump down" height is just enough to keep the top of each subsequent page always positioned exactly at the top of the viewing area?
If you switch to Single Page mode rather than continuouos mode then each page should start at the top of the Viewing area regardless of the zoom level, unless you zoo out so much that 2 pages or more are on a screen, that will advance by the number of pages visible but should still start the pages at the top.

I hope that helps.

Sincerely
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
gopher_everett
User

Post by gopher_everett »

Thanks for the helpful response Paul.
PDFs should be rendering as well in the Viewer as other software.
I was premature in posting this comment. I don't know why things appeared blurry or fuzzy initially but somehow that has been resolved. Perhaps I just needed to restart my computer or maybe there was some type of conflict with another application that has since been uninstalled. Regardless, I have been using PDF-XChange Viewer for a number of days now and I am very happy with my experience thus far.
…that will advance by the number of pages visible but should still start the pages at the top.
Your comments regarding this issue were also very helpful. In addition, I discovered that using the right & left arrow keys (rather than PgDn & PgUp) to move up and down in the document also resolves my difficulty.

Thanks again for your prompt and helpful feedback. :D

Btw, is there a button I can/should click to indicate that this question is answered and the thread can be closed?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Glad we could assist gopher_everett,

And no special buttons need to be clicked - my comment as the last in this thread is sufficient to consider this topic resolved!

Regards,
Stefan