Constant reload of downloading file

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Mist
User

Constant reload of downloading file

Post by Mist »

Do I know what I'm talking about? Not even the foggiest idea so bear with me.

A couple days ago I downloaded (saved) a PDF file. Everything went well.
From that time to currently, that PDF file keeps popping up.
I close it. It continues to pop-up a while later.
I traced it back to its origin (or what I believe it to be) and kill it (DEL). Still no success. It rises like the Phoenix. :twisted: :twisted:

I have a copy of the PDF, I don't need it repeatedly.

Solutions or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Windows 7 / Linux Mint 14
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Constant reload of downloading file

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Mist,

Thanks for the post - this would probably due to a virus in the PDF file or a virus on your general system, as none of our applications are inherently capable of doing that. Please run a virus scan to make sure that this isn't a virus (it may be a good idea to use multiple anti-virus programs to make sure that, if there is something, it gets found and eliminated).

Hope that helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Walter-Tracker Supp
User

Post by Walter-Tracker Supp »

Just to add to what Will has said here, it's possible you have some adware (advertising software) that is intentionally opening this file. If the file is advertising something or reminding you to buy something, you might look to that company or software as the source of your trouble.

It may also be that some application is opening it intentionally to remind you to register, offer you a deal on something, or something like that. Without knowing the details we can speculate about a lot of things, but all we can tell you is that our software does not do this. Something else on your system is apparently opening it for you, which would pass it to whatever your default viewer is.
Mist
User

Post by Mist »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi Mist,

Thanks for the post - this would probably due to a virus in the PDF file or a virus on your general system, as none of our applications are inherently capable of doing that. Please run a virus scan to make sure that this isn't a virus (it may be a good idea to use multiple anti-virus programs to make sure that, if there is something, it gets found and eliminated).

Hope that helps!
Welcome and thanks to you also.

No virus, no malware, no rootkits. Ran them all twice x 2 (Kaspersky and Trend) each.

The beastie file is hiding here:
C:\Users\Panther\AppData\Local\Temp\
which is a hidden/system folder.

There were two and I killed both - again.

I can never get anything normal.

Thanks for your help.
Mist
User

Post by Mist »

Walter-Tracker Supp wrote:Just to add to what Will has said here, it's possible you have some adware (advertising software) that is intentionally opening this file. If the file is advertising something or reminding you to buy something, you might look to that company or software as the source of your trouble.

It may also be that some application is opening it intentionally to remind you to register, offer you a deal on something, or something like that. Without knowing the details we can speculate about a lot of things, but all we can tell you is that our software does not do this. Something else on your system is apparently opening it for you, which would pass it to whatever your default viewer is.
Thanks, Walter.

Eh, nope. No such animal that I can find. I try to keep the browser locked down as much as possible opening only as needed. The continuing JAVA problem cost me big time when I forgot that.

Possibly but it's a Fuji camera manual which I wouldn't think is all that sexy in the ad biz. Still didn't find anything.

C:\Users\Panther\AppData\Local\Temp\
is where it was hiding, which is a hidden/system folder.

Happy to hear about your software - one less item to worry about.

Thanks again.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Thanks for the feedback Mist.

Do let us know if you need anything else from us.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com