Touch scroll support for bookmark list

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

tinypocket
User

Touch scroll support for bookmark list

Post by tinypocket »

Hi,

I'm using PDV-XChange Viewer on my Windows 8 tablet and I love it! It's much faster than Adobe.

The only issue I'm facing is that I can't touch & scroll through the bookmark list as I would expect -- I need to use the scrollbar. Can this be updated so that I can just touch anywhere in the list and scroll (basically like it does in Adobe or other apps)? Hitting the scrollbar is too hard with my finger!

Thanks!
Nick
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Touch scroll support for bookmark list

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

HI Nick,

thanks for the report. It's been noted. I'm not sure where on the priority list this falls but is's in the system now thanks.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi Nick.

Thanks for your report. Currently we are strongly focused on the main functionality of our PDF-Editor.
The full support of touch-interface and most improving of UI - it is next step in our work.
We will go back to improving and extending of the UI in a short time, please wait...

Best
Regards.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

I also have problems with scrolling in Thumbnails and Bookmarks. Scrolling doesn't seem to start instantly and is jerky :(

It feels as if the scrolling actually wanted to be ballistic touch scrolling but didn't quite make it there :o
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

HI David,

as Vasyl mentioned - this will be attended to after the rest of the features are added to the Editor so it may be a little while yet but it will happen.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
vonderose
User

Post by vonderose »

It seems as if everything has been said in this matter. Touch functionality for the XChange reader is repeatedly asked for. And the promise is made for not so distant future.

And yet I would like to add two more things to the wish list, as I also have a Windows 8 tablet with a digitizer pen:

1) I use “Hot Virtual Keyboard”, an onscreen keyboard that goes quite well with a host of programs, but not with Tracker software. The keyboard does not pop up when I annotate my PDFs, write a comment or give a name to a bookmark. As things are, XChange Viewer obviously draws the text pointer in its own way and does not provide my onscreen keyboard with the necessary information as to the whereabouts of the cursor. That, really, is a pity.
2) Furthermore, I would very much like to have any easy switch between drag and scroll and my highlighting and underlining activity. One way to do this would be to scroll via finger and to annotate via pen. But there might be many other solutions.

I don’t want to end this remark without saying how much I like your product. It is perfect for annotating and exporting all the highlights and comments one generates in the course of reading a PDF. This feature, for sure is much better realized in XChange View than in Acrobat XI or in any other software. Thanks for that!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello vonderose,

Thanks for your post and comments. We will look into it as soon as possible. I've added it to a special list, and our devs will attend to these features as soon as possible.

Regards,
Stefan
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi, Nick, David and vonderose.
I also have problems with scrolling in Thumbnails and Bookmarks. Scrolling doesn't seem to start instantly and is jerky :(
The only issue I'm facing is that I can't touch & scroll through the bookmark list as I would expect -- I need to use the scrollbar. Can this be updated so that I can just touch anywhere in the list and scroll (basically like it does in Adobe or other apps)? Hitting the scrollbar is too hard with my finger!
We will improve the touch processing in the next build of PDF-Editor. You will be able to scroll bookmarks, thumbnails, etc. by two fingers (by two fingers because will be conflict with drag&drop and muti-select features that can be used by one finger).
1) I use “Hot Virtual Keyboard”, an onscreen keyboard that goes quite well with a host of programs, but not with Tracker software. The keyboard does not pop up when I annotate my PDFs, write a comment or give a name to a bookmark. As things are, XChange Viewer obviously draws the text pointer in its own way and does not provide my onscreen keyboard with the necessary information as to the whereabouts of the cursor. That, really, is a pity.
We cannot reproduce this wrong behavior in new our PDF-Editor - the “Hot Virtual Keyboard” popups as expected when we activated any text editor in the UI. Please try it..
2) Furthermore, I would very much like to have any easy switch between drag and scroll and my highlighting and underlining activity. One way to do this would be to scroll via finger and to annotate via pen. But there might be many other solutions.
In PDF-Editor, in pages view, you already can scroll pages by two fingers without stopping of current editing. Please try it also..

Best
Regards
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
vonderose
User

Post by vonderose »

Thanks, Vasyl, for this gentle push towards the new Editor!

Indeed, I tried it some time ago, and initially, I was impressed with the new touch features, especially the two-fingers-scroll. Nicely down.

Yet, I finally decided to uninstall the Editor and to revert to my trusted Viewer. The reason was that I had experienced some crashes with your August/September build, only after trying some customizing twists: changing the language to German, trying to modify the toolbar, opening the annotation panel, trying to export annotations and looking for some more tweaks in the settings menu (that I couldn’t find). In the end, the recurring crashes just discouraged me enough.

As I now see, at the end of November, the Editor still does not allow for these tweaks and twist that I love about your software. So, for instance, the toolbar cannot be customized. Therefore, to my mind, you still have some work to do with your new release. However, the final version will most certainly be an excellent piece of software. That’s why I’ll have another go at the beginning of next year. I already marked it in my calendar.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi vonderose,

Thanks for the post and kind words!

UI Customization should be available as of build 307, so it shouldn't be too much longer.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.