Meaning of "Gold Release" and interim builds

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Victor Warner
User

Meaning of "Gold Release" and interim builds

Post by Victor Warner »

Regarding PDF-XChange Editor V3, Will from Tracker Software wrote

11 January 2013
unfortunately all further releases will only be available to (all) Users when publicly released, or so I have been informed by the Dev. Team here. If this changes, one of us will let you know

so you already have access to the latest CR release and others will be published in the coming weeks from the existing link.
',
and

on 29 January 2013
but we're not offering a second beta/candidate release to any Users - the next release will be the 'Gold' release. /quote]

What does a 'Gold' actually release mean (see also https://www.pdf-xchange.com/company/new ... s/view/120)? Given that extensive history of delays and the amount of basic features missing from the alpha/beta released at the end of 2012, I suggest users should be told what the phrase means.

Will there be any further interim builds (there are no new builds since the one dated 28 December 2012)?

Are the two statements inconsistent or does the latter supersede the former?
justposted
User

Re: Meaning of "Gold Release" and interim builds

Post by justposted »

The next post on that 29th Jan thread correctd the one that you have quoted. Here it is:

Re: Version 3.0 and PDF/A files
by John - Tracker Supp on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:00 am
Actually Will is not quite correct - we expect a 2nd beta nearer the complete version in terms of features etc around the 3rd week of Feb with the Gold release Mid march if all goes to plan without any major issues.
So I'm still hopeful for an interim release that is at least close to being feature complete.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Thanks for that justposted,

what you have quoted there is the most recent information available and if it comes from John you can rest assured it carries weight...

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
fghj
User

Post by fghj »

How this company continues to get by with so many lies regarding its release dates is beyond me. I suppose the confusion lies in what it considers beta releases and release candidates versus the final release. For more than just a couple months now it has fudged on those dates. Last I heard (before this post by John), the final relase was planned for sometime this month. Now it has been pushed to March. To be fair, Tracker's terrible reputation of delaying the final release is well documented. However, I cannot help but question how seriously it really takes its product and respect its customers' intelligence by continuing to tell us that the final release is incoming but then within days of that release delaying it further with the excuse that it did not want to release an incomplete product. I fully appreciate this sentiment, but given the history of the company and how software is developed, perhaps too much was expected to be done in the first place. This pattern of raising everyone's expectations and then shooting them down cannot go on forever. At some point a final product must be released to maintain the customer base.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Be careful what you say in a public forum - libel is a serious business ...

We have for sometime said late Feb mid March and respectfully - if you have a problem this is not the place to voice that - you are free to email us direct - this forum is for client support.

A further Beta is due this month with a Gold release in March and I can confirm that this is still the case and will not be delayed further.

After that - we will continue to add features and functions and now the biggest portion of the hard work rewriting everything in not just our end user releases but the core libraries that support them, is behind us - progress will be a lot quicker over the next 12 months in this regard.

We appreciate the delays have been frustrating for all - but information has always been provided in good faith and estimating release dates for any software product is an inexact science - even for the biggest companies with all their resources.

We have tried our best to be accurate and fully admit we have made mistakes in this regards - but never have we deliberately misled anyone and we have agreed to extend maintenance substantially to assuage our clients feelings of frustration.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com