Some observations on publicly release beta of version 3

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Victor Warner
User

Some observations on publicly release beta of version 3

Post by Victor Warner »

Having installed the beta released on 27 December, I notice:

1. it is not possible to access menu items (eg Alt-F, Alt-D, Ctrl-S) yet (still) via the keyboard.

2. The Text Box and Typewriter tools do not appear to be implemented yet.

3. For a pdf file created from scanned pages/graphics and to which text has been added via the Text Box and Typewriter tools in version 2.5 or another pdf program it is not possible to access that text in version 3. The text box or the text remains unselectable.

For me, at least, this version, unfortunately still remains Alpha software.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Some observations on publicly release beta of version 3

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Victor,

Thanks for your points.
You are correct for 1) and 2), but can you please attach a sample for 3)?

Best,
Stefan
Victor Warner
User

Post by Victor Warner »

For 3, see attached.

It is possible (after clicking edit Edit Content button), to select the whole page and to move it.

Doing so leaves the text added via typewriter tool or text box tool. Clicking on these (with Edit content button or Edit comments button) after moving the page image still does not make them editable or usable.
Attachments
afresco italiano216.pdf
(592.97 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
Nico - Tracker Supp
User

Post by Nico - Tracker Supp »

Hi Victor,

Thanks for your post and the sample pdf.
As it is explained on this article: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/company ... s/view/120 , some features will be missing for now such as stamps, and other features will be partially implemented such as annotations and printing. You can still use the PDF-XChange Viewer version 2.5 for those.
Thanks.

Sincerely,
refract
User

Post by refract »

Victor, see if you can "Export to Images.." I get a full crash every time no matter what export format I choose. (Windows 7, plenty of memory)
vivadavid
User

Post by vivadavid »

Hello,

I've finally installed Version 3 (I use the free version of Viewer) and I'd like to make observations too about the software. So far, I've found an important bug. Is there a thread where I could make a contribution? Again, I could only analyze the free part of the sotware. Thanks.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Making observation, please note it is not a final release for now. We are going to make regular releases of new builds of the editor, and also, the final release is not so far away.
Any your comments suggestions are much appreciated and may help us to make the V3 as best as it can be.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
justposted
User

Post by justposted »

@refract: "Victor, see if you can "Export to Images.." I get a full crash every time no matter what export format I choose. (Windows 7, plenty of memory)"

Export to Image works fine for me (Windows 7/64 with 4GB RAM). I have just exported an 18MB PDF (a scanned A0 drawing) to a 50MB TIFF, a 16MB JPG and a 1MB greyscale JPG, with no problems. Also tried a text-based PDF and exported successfully to various formats.

Maybe upload a file that you are failing to export, to see if it is a general issue or something that is specific to your set-up?
vivadavid
User

Post by vivadavid »

So, is there a particular thread where I could make my observations or could I just create my own? I've found a serious problem with PDF/A, to start with. Thanks for your work on PDF-Xchange!
Victor Warner
User

Post by Victor Warner »

Nico,

Yes I read the statement, but annotations are not partially implemented, they are not implemented whatsoever (other than sticky notes).

Speculation: If the version released on 27 December 2012 is a second beta, then logically the previous beta released under the terms of a NDA would not have included the missing features I identified (unless they were present and now have been removed). I do not know this or cannot comment.

But if they were not present in the previous beta and are are still absent, this is not an encouraging sign.

The absence of basic interface operation (ie calling up menu options through Alt+letter keys etc) still (given that this public 'beta' has been repeatedly delayed and delayed) is depressing. I find it painful to hold a mouse in either hand (or write with a pen), so how am I supposed to use this 'beta'? There is nothing in the statement why this basic stuff is missing.

Given that all meaningful functionality regarding annotations is missing and will remain missing for at least another two months (and most probably longer, given previous deadlines announced and missed) I suspect something is seriously amiss with development.
Victor Warner
User

Post by Victor Warner »

Refract,

I am not having a problem with exporting images with Version 3 at all. I have tried with several image types and different types of pdfs. Using Windows 7 32bit running as a virtual machine, with limited memory (1 gigabyte).