how to stop having to save a new pdf file when it opens

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

robaa@tpg.com.au
User

how to stop having to save a new pdf file when it opens

Post by robaa@tpg.com.au »

If I create a new pdf file, whether from Firefox, or from MSWord, with Adobe acrobat the new pdf pops up,and I can decide if I want to save it.
With pdf-xchange I am forced to save it as a file, so have to find a folder for it, then open it etc.

How can I have xchange work so I dont have to save a new pdf when it is created. I seem to spend half my time saving the pdf files into folders before I can use them.

Rob
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: how to stop having to save a new pdf file when it opens

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Rob,

You have posted in our Viewer's forums, but are speaking of PDF creation. Could you please describe the process in a few more steps (and ideally attach some screenshots) from how you do that with both our and Adobe's products, so that we can get a better understanding of the situation?

Best,
Stefan
justposted
User

Post by justposted »

Hope you don't mind if I wade in. It is something that interests me too.

I think what Rob is saying is that when you print to PDF using the Acrobat (or Bluebeam) print driver, it immediately opens the file in the relevant PDF viewer and calls it something like "New Document". You can then choose to save it in the normal way or you can close it. That makes it quick to check that your PDF is coming out as you intended (image resolution, margins etc). Once you get it looking right, you save.

With PDFX Lite (which is what I use at home), when you print to PDF it immediately prompts you to save. So you choose a folder/name, save it, and then it opens automatically. Not the end of the world, but having to save every time is a bit of a pain. Particularly if you are struggling to get the PDF to come out correctly, so want to do a few quick iterations.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

thanks for the clarification justposted. I think what you are saying is indeed what robaa@tpg.com.au is suggesting. In essence the PDF would be created, stored in a temp directory and rendered in the users default Viewer without ever hitting the user with a save dialogue. Saving the PDF would then require the use of Save As I would expect.

That certainly isn't a current feature, but may be something that could be added. The development team would need input here into the practicality of that. Does what I described sound like what you are suggesting?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Using PDF-XChange driver (please note, this topic is for the viewer), on Save page of driver's preferences dialog you can specify folder, filename (using macros) and turn off showing Save As dialog.
I suspect it should make exactly what you want to achieve.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.