PDF-Xchange Viewer 2.5.206 and Chrome

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

BarryH
User

PDF-Xchange Viewer 2.5.206 and Chrome

Post by BarryH »

Hi

I would prefer Viewer not to display in Chrome but to run as a separate instance. I have tried deselecting the check box both at installation and from the program preferences but whenever I click on a link to a PDF in Chrome it always displays in the browser.

Is there any way to turn this OFF?

Thanks.
Best regards
Barry
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: PDF-Xchange Viewer 2.5.206 and Chrome

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Barry,

So just to make sure - the check box you are refering to is the one in the Stand alone Viewer -> Edit -> Preferences -> File Associations -> Display PDF in browser.

Can you please try it once again (with Chrome closed) - Navigate to the checkbox, make sure to turn it off, then click the Apply and OK buttons in this window. Then close the Viewer, and only after that start Chrome and try opening a PDF file.

Best,
Stefan
BarryH
User

Post by BarryH »

Hi Stefan

The checkbox in "Stand alone Viewer -> Edit -> Preferences -> File Associations -> Display PDF in browser" was un-ticked so just to be sure I ticked it clicked "Apply" then "OK", exited Viewer, re-opened the Viewer, went back to Settings and un-ticked the checkbox, cilcked "Apply" followed by "OK" and exited the program again.

I then started Chrome and went to a web page where I knew there was a PDF file to open, clicked on the link and the document opened in Chrome with the PDF-XChange Viewer interface. Just to let you know I have the inbuilt Chrome Viewer plugin disabled and your Viewer plugin enabled.

If you want me to check anything else please let me know.

Thanks.
Best regards
Barry
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Barry,

Excuse my ignorance - but where in Chrome's settings are the plug-ins?
I am using Opera as my daily browser and could not find where the plug-ins in Chrome are located.

If you can - try to disable our Viewer's plug-in in Chrome and keep the build in one also disabled - and see if that will result in the files being saved and opened with the stand alone Viewer.

Best,
Stefan
BarryH
User

Post by BarryH »

Hi Stefan

about:plugins

:wink:
Best regards
Barry
BarryH
User

Post by BarryH »

Hi Stefan

Now I have disabled the plugin I only get an option to save the PDF file when I click on the link which means saving the file to my computer before I can open it.

In IE9 I get an option to either Save or Open, if I click on Open then the PDF files opens in a separate instance of PDF-Viewer as I would expect.
Best regards
Barry
BarryH
User

Post by BarryH »

Hi Stefan

This is the info displayed regarding your plugin:

PDF-XChange Viewer - Version: 2.5.0206.0000
PDF-XChange Viewer Netscape Gecko Plugin
Name:PDF-XChange Viewer
Description: PDF-XChange Viewer Netscape Gecko Plugin
Version: 2.5.0206.0000
Location: d:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Viewer\npPDFXCviewNPPlugin.dll
Type: NPAPI
MIME types:
MIME type Description File extensions
application/pdf Portable Document Format .pdf
Best regards
Barry
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hey Barry,

I believe you are comparing browser functionality here - which is outside the scope of our Viewer and it's plug-ins - but looking at this:
http://productforums.google.com/forum/# ... %5B1-25%5D

update: Paul has posted a visual explanation of what the guys in the above post are discussing - and I believe it's the thing you are after?

Cheers,
Stefan
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Barry,

I use Chrome daily and I think, and Stefan's link seems to verify this, that it's just the way Chrome works. It has an option to open or always open the file if the plugin is disabled. I

With both the PDF-XChange and Chrome PDF disabled in about:plugins you get the above option. The only real difference as I see it to IE for example is that it is saving the file in your downloads folder and IE in a temp folder it doesn't 'tell you about'.

Beyond that I'm not sure that there is anything in our plugin that can change the Chrome behaviour. It might be worth asking on Google's forums for Chrome ans according to my testing the behaviour is the same regardless of the particular PDF plugin employed (or not employed in tis case!)

I hope that helps.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com