Dynamic Stamps

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

rah
User

Dynamic Stamps

Post by rah »

I've been waiting patiently for dynamic stamp creation to be implemented in PDF-XChange Viewer for years but alas no joy yet :wink:

I recently upgraded to a PC that included Adobe Acrobat X on it. After reading a couple of articles on creating dynamic stamps, I decided to take a whirl. Talk about your basic exercise in futility! Adobe has gone out of its way to make this the clunkiest, convoluted process ever.

1. You design the graphic for the stamp you want to use in some graphic software. In my case an Approval with company logo.
2. Then you go into Adobe and create a custom stamp, navigating to the graphic file you created.
3. Now you have to navigate to the default Adobe dynamic stamp file and copy an existing demonic :wink: text element, after first configuring Adobe to allow you to copy it. You can't be default. I chose one that included the user's name and date created.
4. Then you have to open your custom stamp in Acrobat by navigating to a deeply hidden file with a randomly generated name.
5. Now you paste the dynamic element into your stamp which inevitably needs editing and resizing to fit.

Now I think I'm about home free. I needed to resize the element to fit my graphic and I didn't want the time, just the date to display. It's not to hard to figure out the Java script to eliminate the time but I found if I changed anything with the element, it would mysteriously drop the username. I found, after bringing my tortured stamp into PDF-XChange Viewer, it would display as designed in Acrobat but if I resized it, the name would disappear there as well.

I related this whole experience as a segway to asking what and when Tracker plans on implementing dynamic stamps.
  • Will creating a dynamic stamp simply be like creating a static one except for enter simple variables for dynamic text?
    Will each dynamic stamp be a single file, making distribution easier?
I'd appreciate hearing Tracker's plans even if they are only rough working assumptions.

Thanks.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Dynamic Stamps

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi rah,

V3 is planned to have support for creating Dynamic Stamps, though I can't promise at present if it will be in the initial release, it may come after that. It is not trivial to implement.

Your patience is appreciated. A more complete explanation of the delays in the release of V3 is available here: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/company ... s/view/116

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
rah
User

Post by rah »

Thanks.

Judging by the remarkably unpolished implementation by Adobe, I can believe it.

A number of static stamps are included with PDF-XChange Viewer. Would it be possible to include some generic dynamic stamps as well that might tide me and other users over until v3.x is ready? A "Received" and an "Approved" with a user and date would be excellent :D .
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Rah,

We don't currently support the creation of such stamps but it's certainly possible to import already existing ones from other applications to our Viewer:
How do I use Dynamic Stamps in the Viewer?

Best,
Stefan
rah
User

Post by rah »

I'm just suggesting that Tracker include a couple of dynamic stamps along with the static ones you provide with the PDF-XChange Viewer install. It would demonstrate your support of dynamic stamps and you could include a mention that dynamic stamp creation will be supported in v3.x.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Rah,

V3 is quite close now, so I don't think the time needed to make these changes in v2.5 would be justified by our dev team but thank you for the suggestion!

Regards,
Stefan
rah
User

Post by rah »

I created a dynamic stamp in Acrobat X. The dymanic portion of the stamp was copied from one of the sample Acrobat stamps, showing the username, date and time. In Acrobat, I can resize the stamp and it works fine.

When I copy that stamp to the PDF-XChange Viewer (v2.5 - Build 203.0) data location ( C:\Users\rah\AppData\Roaming\Tracker Software\PDF-XChange Viewer\2.0\Stamps ), I have problems. I see my stamp in PDF-XChange Viewer and I can place it on a PDF page and it looks fine. I can even move it around and it continues to display as designed.

However, if I re-size the stamp, the dynamic portion disappears. If I undo the resize, the dynamic portion does not return. I've attached some screen captures showing the problem.

I've attached the dynamic stamp file for your review.

TIA
Attachments
Tracker Dynamic Stamp Problem 08-02-2012.pdf
This is a screen capture showing how the stamp initially appears correctly but after resizing, the dynamic portion is gone.
(271.46 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
wCP6YV7PB2F9mxwD6y6YAC.pdf
This is the dynamic stamp file.
(924.21 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Rah,

thanks for that. I see the same here. I'm not sure if this is related to the way this this specific stamp was made and if it is a Viewer issue or a problem just with this stamp.

I am able to apply other Dynamic Stamps without this issue. I've attached a PDF file you can import the same way. You will see that when applied they re-size without issue.

I'll ask one of the dev team to take a look at this and let us know if it's a problem with the Viewer or this particular stamp.

hth
Attachments
Dynamic.zip
(38.06 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
rah
User

Post by rah »

I added Dynamic.pdf to the PDF-XChange Viewer (PXV) stamps and these dynamic stamps don't exhibit the disappearing dynamic content problem that my dynamic stamp did.

The question then is: why does my dynamic stamp work fine in Acrobat X but not in PXV? You sent me what I assume is Adobe's dynamic stamp PDF with no modifications. Please try modifying one of those stamps and then try using that in PXV and see if it still works properly.

I created my dynamic stamp by first creating the static graphics in a drawing program and saving it as a jpeg. I then imported that into Acrobat X and then copied the dynamic element from one of the existing Adobe stamps into mine with no modification.

Interestingly enough, I found that if I tried to modify the Adobe dynamic text in any way, such as changing font or editing the script, I had similar problems in Acrobat X that my stamp has in PXV.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Rah,

I am not an expert in dynamic stamps - but it would appear that Adobe's dynamic stamp editor makes changes to them in such a way that causes them to break in our viewer or in both our Viewer and their own Adobe Acrobat (based on the changes you make). I don't have an Adobe license here on this machine and believe Paul does not have one either, but we will discuss this with him when he comes to work (he is in our Vancouver island office) and we will post here any further comments we might have.

Best,
Stefan
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Rah,

We've created a ticket (internal use only) on this issue:
#1600: Issues with modified Dynamic Stamps
So that we can fix it.

I will post back here as soon as this is resolved.

Best,
Stefan