Why: after update of PDFX, I have to restart my PC?

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

ZoNi
User

Why: after update of PDFX, I have to restart my PC?

Post by ZoNi »

After PDFX update:

Why I need to restart PC?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Why: after update of PDFX, I have to restart my PC?

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello ZoNi,

In order to correctly set up all file associations and register the various add-ins and plug-ins that come with our Viewer it's advisable that you restart your machine.
As you see - there is also an option not to restart straight away.

You mention that you are updating our Viewer - are you using the Help -> Check for updates or did you download the stand alone installer?

Best,
Stefan
ZoNi
User

Post by ZoNi »

Stefan, it is same if I d/l installer or update from PDFX.

I have to check, maybe it is not like that in Win7 (that screenshot is from WinXP Pro SP3).
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi ZoNi,

it is the same in Win 7. The reason is that when certain files are updated, if they are in use by any other application Windows will sometimes flag these to be replaced on restart. Because we integrate into Web Browsers and the Windows Shell (shell extensions) there are changes that fall into this category. We cannot change this, it is the way Windows works.

If you really need to update the Viewer with a guarantee of no restart use the 'Portable Version' and just replace the whole working folder. https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFX_Vwr_Port.zip There are no settings changes when using the portable version, but that has the downside of not having the same level of integration with Windows.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Since installing the latest version of PDFX fixed a broken IFilter (needed for indexing PDF files for Windows search) this surely is one part of why sometimes you need a restart. I never really noticed how my PDFs were not indexed until I really needed it, so one restarts is little to pay for improved functionality. ;)
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Timur Born

indeed not every install will need a restart and I would thoroughly agree with your assessment.

;)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com