Pages printing up either too small or too big

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

prr
User

Pages printing up either too small or too big

Post by prr »

I find when I print out books from Google Books (PDFs that I've downloaded), that a lot of the time in PDFXChange, the pages will print slightly too big (cutting off the print at the bottom), or much too small (the printed matter only covers about a third of the page). I have switched from "fit to printer margin" to "none" to "reduce to printer margin," but often I can't get good results, although other pdf programs don't seem to give me this trouble. Is there another option I can select somewhere? This is a real annoyance, as I print from PDF quite often.
Windows 11
PDFX-Change Editor current
Chris - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Pages printing up either too small or too big

Post by Chris - Tracker Supp »

Hi prr,

Can you please attach one of the PDFs that exhibits this behavior, please.

Thanks,
Chris
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Chris Attrell
Tracker Sales & Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
prr
User

Post by prr »

Any suggestions on how? I've tried 3 times, turned the PDF into a 7Z file, 34 megs in size. I click the choose file button, and the browser's status bar goes up to 100 percent, but nothing happens after that.
Windows 11
prr
User

Post by prr »

OK I've attached a smaller version of the file.
I haven't tried the introductory matter, but if you print the last two pages (24-25), you can see what I mean. Fit to printer margins cuts off material at the bottom; none and Reduce to printer margins make the printed matter 1/3 the size of the page.
Attachments
ProcopiusNEW.7z
(1.99 MiB) Downloaded 147 times
Windows 11
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

I have checked how Adobe handles this and it would appear that our option 'Fit to Printer Margins' with the 'Auto Centre' check box on - will give the best results - and achieve the same as that which Adobe would achieve at best and gives acceptable results for all pages - at least in my tests here

The pages you have are obviously oversized - so there is no way to achieve a perfect fit for every page ...

Hope that helps
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
prr
User

Post by prr »

I have been using the auto-center option (both of them) as well as fit to printer margin options.

As far as oversized, they appear in my PDFXChange as 100 percent (view option), and appear to be normal. Given that they are scans of book pages, they are doubtles very large (as in mb)....
Windows 11
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Can you please Print a couple of pages to paper and then 'scan' the results to a new PDF file and post here so we can see what you actually are receiving in printed output. Also please do a screenshot of the actual Print options selected and include.

Finally please advise your printer model and Windows operating system

Once we have we can advise further. Thanks

Best regards
Tracker Support
prr
User

Post by prr »

This is an example of a book I'm talking about:

http://books.google.com/books?id=JkYzAA ... &q&f=false

Any page I print up, with the Page Scaling option set to None, Reduce to Printer Margins, or Fit to Printer Margins, prints the pages either too small or too big---the entire page takes up only the top 1/3 of the printer paper, or the bottom several lines are not present on the printer paper.
Windows 11
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi prr,

I can't see any e-book copy of the book you've linked, so I tried this alternative version:
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=1sEI ... r_versions
But I am unable to download a local/printable copy of it at all. Could you please let us know how are you extracting/downloading the google books, and maybe provide a sample that we can try to print here at our end.

I also notice that you have not mentioned the actual build of our Viewer that you are using. Please make sure that you have version 2.5.207 (you can check that in Help -> About), and if not - download and install the latest build from here:
www.tracker-software.com/PDFXVwer.zip

Best,
Stefan
prr
User

Post by prr »

Yes, I am using the newest version. I'm gonna delete that text in my sig, but I am using .207.

The link I provided--sorry, it wasn't clear, but if you use the link I provided, on the upper right side of the page is a circle with bumps on it. Click on that, and you can see an option to download the PDF.

I am always signed in to a Google Account, as my Gmail is always open. I'm not sure if this option is available if you aren't signed in.

If that doesn't work for you at all, I can upload the book to my own website and give you the URL there; I just thought that you'd be more comfortable d/l a book directly from Google books, but I can upload it if you'd like.
Windows 11
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi prr,

I downloaded the file and was able to print pages. See the attachment. I printed page 422 (409 on the printed page) and it seems to me to have printed correctly using 'Fit to Printer Margins'.

Can you take a look at the scanned result and tell me if I'm missing something?

Paul
Attachments
New Document.pdf
(984.43 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
prr
User

Post by prr »

I don't get it. Yes your printup was perfect. I used the same setting and got my old misprint. The bottom line on my printed page started with the word "not," five lines up from the bottom. Of course the print was all oversized.

This is a screenshot of the print dialog:

http://www.paulrittman.com/Screen.png
Windows 11
prr
User

Post by prr »

But at least now I know that there is something wrong with my configuration, and not the program itself--which suggests that there is a solution somewhere.
Windows 11
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi prr,

Have you tried printing to another device (or using other drivers for the HP LaserJet 1018) and is the result there the same?

Best,
Stefan
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

I also noticed you have "Choose Paper Source by PDF Page Size" enabled and that it is printing to legal with that.

I assume you actually have legal paper available? It's not just printing to the wrong paper size is it?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
prr
User

Post by prr »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote:I also noticed you have "Choose Paper Source by PDF Page Size" enabled and that it is printing to legal with that.

I assume you actually have legal paper available? It's not just printing to the wrong paper size is it?
Have no idea about printing to legal; we always do the traditional 8.5x11 inch paper.

I did, however, untick that Choose Paper Source by PDF page size option, and it printed just fine.

I see now why someone earlier asked for a screenshot of my printing dialog. :mrgreen:

Thanks to both of you!
Windows 11
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

All's well that ends well. :D
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke