Check version updates automatically

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

glocal
User

Check version updates automatically

Post by glocal »

Can't PDF-XChange check for new versions automatically, say once a week or so, and alert the user when there is a new version (or optionally even update automatically)? Or at least make sure Filehippo's Updates Checker and similar checkers detect updates are available? Whatever you do, please don't install something that runs in the background constantly checking for updates. Annoyingly, Adobe does that a lot and it is completely unnecessary (and I prevent them from running anyway). A Windows Scheduled Task would achieve the same thing. Alternatively, the application could check once a week or so when/if it is run by the user.

It's just that I have to remember to check every now and then, and I usually end up finding out about an update several months late.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Check version updates automatically

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi,

After much discussion here and inhouse - for now at least we have decided to put the onus on the user ...

on the basis that 'if it aint broke dont fix it' we reccomend users check back every few months for a major release - or should they face a problem ...

The over whelming majority of clients have voiced their preference to keep a user based 'check for updates' system - so for now at least that is the way it will remain.

Your comments and suggestions are noted and will be discussed here again when Version 3 nearers fruition.

thanks
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
ZoNi
User

Post by ZoNi »

glocal wrote:or optionally even update automatically
I prefer this option, like in browsers :)
glocal
User

Post by glocal »

Presumably, the overwhelming majority did not explicitly state they didn't want to be given a choice. Surely, they and everyone else would be happy with the option 'Check for updates every x days', with the default being off. Why would anyone object to that? I for one am not very excited about having another thing to remember, and delayed updates means we miss out on potentially important features.

Also, I find peculiar that practically every major PDF viewer is listed here http://filehippo.com/search?q=pdf except PDF-XChange. If it was listed on filehippo, users could use Filehippo's update checking facility independently if they so wished. I am sure there are other similar repositories out there PDF-XChange could use.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi,

I didn't say we would not offer the option - just not until we are ready to release Version 3 and certainly we will submit to File Hippo ASAP.

Thanks for the suggestions.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com