Does Adobe's new Flash rendering affect Tracker's approach?

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Spiff
User

Does Adobe's new Flash rendering affect Tracker's approach?

Post by Spiff »

Dear Tracker Software Support,

Earlier, integration of Flash support in PDF-XChange Viewer version 3 was mentioned.
And I expressed my worries about adding the risk of Flash vulnerabilities with adding Flash support.
Tracker Support promised to provide important security options in version 3 to guard against the potential for issues arising with the integration of Flash support.

Interestingly, last month, Adobe announced a change in the rendering of Flash content in Adobe Reader and Acrobat. Adobe Reader and Acrobat will use the Adobe Flash Player plugin version installed on the user’s system to render any Flash content contained in PDF files, rather than the Authplay component that ships with Adobe Reader and Acrobat.
So in a way, Adobe is taking Flash support partly 'out of' Adobe Reader and Acrobat and transferring that to Adobe Flash Player, if that is installed.

Does this development in any way change the view and the approach of Tracker Software towards how Flash support should be integrated in PDF-XChange Viewer version 3?
Does Adobe's change in Flash content rendering affect Tracker's approach with version 3?

Best regards,
Spiff
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Re: Does Adobe's new Flash rendering affect Tracker's approa

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

No, it doesn't affect us because to work with Flash we have to use public interfaces that are installed on a user's system (and updated regularly), we do not use the private Authplay component because (I guess) no one except Adobe has it.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
Spiff
User

Post by Spiff »

Thanks, Ivan.
When you say "public interfaces that are installed on a user's system", do you mean Adobe Flash Player?
If so, that would mean that with PDF-XChange Viewer v.3 a similar system for Flash support will be used as Adobe is switching over to.
Or, when you said "public interfaces that are installed on a user's system", did you mean installed as part of PDF-XChange Viewer?
Spiff
User

Post by Spiff »

I realize that my choice for topic title, "Does Adobe's new Flash rendering affect Tracker's approach?", may have influenced and clouded what I tried to communicate.
I only chose that title, with the use of the word "affect", because there was simply no room for a more extensive title that would have better covered what I was talking about.

To be clear - with the use of the word "affect" I did not mean that Adobe's change in the rendering of Flash content in Adobe Reader and Acrobat would affect the rendering of Flash content in PDF-XChange Viewer in any technical way.

What I meant to ask was, does Adobe's new view on Flash content rendering perhaps influence or change Tracker Software company and developers in their view on and approach towards how Flash support should be integrated in PDF-XChange Viewer version 3?
Was Adobe's new approach some sort of surprise, and has it changed the way that Tracker Software company and developers think about Flash content rendering?

Ivan's reply was very meaningful, but it mostly explained that PDF-XChange Viewer's technical functioning would not be affected by Adobe's new approach because of the fact that PDF-XChange Viewer doesn't use Authplay.

But I still wonder if Adobe's new approach may have influenced the way that Tracker Software company and developers now think of Flash content rendering.

In case that with PDF-XChange Viewer version 3 a similar kind of system for Flash support will be used as Adobe is now switching over to, Flash rendering with the help of Adobe Flash Player installed on the user's system, I suppose there is nothing new for Tracker Software company and developers...

But to me, this is still not clear.

Best regards,
Spiff
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi,

at this time I am afraid we can provide no further detail on the Version 3 release - and would not want to for commercial reasons.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
Spiff
User

Post by Spiff »

OK, thanks, John.
I understand.

Best regards,
Spiff
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Thanks Spiff :)
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com