Watermark on plugin with paid version

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

prius
User

Watermark on plugin with paid version

Post by prius »

I recently installed the latest version (5.0.255) of PDF-XChange PRO along with the Viewer (PRO version). I am now getting a "Demo" watermark on ALL PDFs when viewed in a browser (i.e., using the Viewer plugin). Note that all other PDFs appear to display just fine; no watermark. Whatever is happening seems to be affecting only PDFs that are displayed in a browser using the plugin. I've tried Firefox, IE8, and Chrome......all exhibit the same behavior.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Watermark on plugin with paid version

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi,

Can you please email us at support with your serial number (please dont post here) and also include a link back to this forum message - once we have we will test here and advise further.

Many thanks
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
prius
User

Post by prius »

Yep, I did just that, John. Hopefully, they'll be able to resolve the issue. Thanks!
michele marziani
User

Post by michele marziani »

Me too! I have the same problem.
I wrote to support@pdf-xchange.com just now,
including my serial number. I hope they'll fix it very soon!
Never had this kind of problems with v4...
prius
User

Post by prius »

I'm sure they'll have the problem resolved in pretty short order. My (admittedly uneducated) guess would be it simply has something to do with the .dll files for the browser plugins.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello prius and michele marziani,

Please try to uninstall all older builds of our products, reboot your machine, then download the latest build (from early this morning EU time, or late on Sunday US/Canada - and try installing it. Do not forget to reboot a second time after the install and all should be well.

I just tested with all browsers and there are no "DEMO Version" texts anywhere to be seen.

Best,
Stefan
verwirrt
User

Post by verwirrt »

The Problem exists.

i saw that under:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDFViewer.IBrowser\Registration

there are only EMail, Name and Organisation values and Name is empty.

When i add Key and/or KeyCode values with my V5 Key of the product, the value(s) get deleted on browser session end (or end of the process PDFXCview.exe ?).

I used Process Monitor and i think PDFXCview.exe doesn't read

HKCU\Software\Tracker Software\PDFViewer.IBrowser\Registration\Key
or
HKLM\Software\Tracker Software\PDFViewer.IBrowser\Registration\Key

Looks like it ignores HKLM, although there is a value key in "...PDFViewer.IBrowser\Registration" with the right PDF X-Change Pro Key

when it runs in the browsers.

When i start the PDF Viewer alone it reads "HKCU\Software\Tracker Software\PDFViewer\Registration\Key"

Perhaps its useful.

Greets
Attachments
ProcessMonitor_Filter_Registration_in_Path.rar
(10.2 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
prius
User

Post by prius »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:I just tested with all browsers and there are no "DEMO Version" texts anywhere to be seen.
Hi Stefan,

Nope, still doesn't work here (see also verwirrt's post as I think he or she might be onto something).

I get the "DEMO Version" watermark in ALL browsers when I use the plugin; that's Opera, Firefox, Chrome, and IE8. Again, it's important to note that this only occurs when the PDF is viewed from within the browser (i.e., the plugin is being used). If the plugin is disabled and the PDF is opened outside the browser, the watermark does NOT appear.

Thanks for your attention.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

We are urgently investigating - the problem we are having is - that we cannot reproduce this at all here on any machine;

We accept the problem exists - but until we can reproduce ourselves - we cannot fix and it may be that we will need access to a volunteers machine remotely to allow us to identify the cause ...

Any offers ?
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
prius
User

Post by prius »

Hi John,

You know what? I'll be the guinea pig if all else fails. Regardless, the fact that you can't reproduce the issue on a machine at Tracker is not surprising. After all, if the issue could have been reproduced on one of Tracker's machines, the new version would not have been released.

At any rate, I have to say that I'm a little disappointed in your company. I mean, you guys can't manage to locate a machine on which PDF-XChange has never been installed? This could be a machine owned by a friend, relative, someone, anyone, at Tracker. Alternatively, Tracker could simply go out and BUY a machine (a cheapo desktop or laptop) for a few hundred bucks and install a fresh copy of PDF-XChange on it. Either way, I'm sure you'd experience the same issue customers are experiencing.
verwirrt
User

Post by verwirrt »

I setup a virtual test environment, if the issue is there too, you can have remote access sure.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi guys,

the issue has now been reproduced here and the team are now working on a fix. The cause of the delay isn't that we don't have access to a used machine, we always test on both clean and used machines, both physical and virtual. The problem is that none of these machines produced the issue at hand. We have found one that does and are moving on with that.

Thanks for all the offers to help - it is a team effort and your offers are appreciated. As soon as the fix is available we'll post here.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

A new build will be available during the day tomorrow (Tuesday) - the issue has been found and a fix is being worked on now and implemeted - thanks for your patience.

We will make the new build dated the '17th April' when ready from our downloads page (see link below) and a minor version number will be modified addressing this problem only ...

When ready - downloads page;

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/downloads

Best regards
Tracker Support
Schilo
User

Post by Schilo »

John - Tracker Supp wrote:A new build will be available during the day tomorrow (Teusday) - the issue has been found and a fix is being worked on now and implemeted
...promises, promises... :roll:
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

This has now been completed prepared and will be released later this morning.

Best regards
Tracker Support
prius04
User

Post by prius04 »

Schilo wrote:
John - Tracker Supp wrote:A new build will be available during the day tomorrow (Teusday) - the issue has been found and a fix is being worked on now and implemeted
...promises, promises... :roll:
Yeah, I gave up on this one. I just disabled the browser plugins. Now, any links to PDFs will open in the Viewer (instead of within the browser via the plugins). That's probably safer, anyway (security-wise).
pjb11
User

Post by pjb11 »

John - Tracker Supp wrote:This has now been completed prepared and will be released later this morning.
Still no updated version released.... Um...

I am sure this issue could have/should have been sorted in beta testing, but then again you assured users you would inform them when that was avail etc - it seems however your very select group of beta testers you did invite did not find this bug (which reflects very poor on them) - which is why proper beta testing works really well when more users have access to it, you get better feedback and real world testing of different O/S and setups that are used in the real world.
Oliver Rohrer
User

Post by Oliver Rohrer »

I'm waiting for a solution since the release of this version. The error is really annoying. And I am very disappointed, that a new version is announced since a couple of days and still not available :(
Schilo
User

Post by Schilo »

prius04 wrote:I gave up on this one. I just disabled the browser plugins. Now, any links to PDFs will open in the Viewer (instead of within the browser via the plugins).
Me too. Anyway, to put it simply, it's just bad practice to announce a fixed release day after day. Without actually releasing it.
Luckily, I upgraded without any extended-period support, just for one year only. I guess I'll also give up on PDF-XChange altogether, next year... :twisted:
verwirrt
User

Post by verwirrt »

I downloaded PDF X-Change Pro Version: 5.0.256 (Updated on 18 Apr, 2012) and the problem is solved.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi guys,

indeed, it seems there was an issue synchronizing the cloud servers that deliver the product. We have addressed that and it should be good now.

If anyone still has a problem after downloading after the date/time of this post I am keen to hear about it.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
:)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
prius04
User

Post by prius04 »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote:indeed, it seems there was an issue synchronizing the cloud servers that deliver the product. We have addressed that and it should be good now...
Indeed it is! No watermark when the plugins are used. :D

I'll give a heartfelt thanks to the entire support/development team at this point.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Excellent - thansk for coming back and appreciate the kind words :)

Best regards
Tracker Support