Error Message if i try to use the print option

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

phatair
User

Error Message if i try to use the print option

Post by phatair »

Hi,

i have installed the PDF XChange Viewer (free version) on our terminalserver. I hope this is legal.
Our OS is Windows Server 2003 with SP2. If i open a PDF file and go to file -> print i get an error message "PDFXCview.exe - Error in appication".

This happens only, if i select a hardware printer as standard printer. If i select a software printer like a pdf printer or microsoft XPS document printer as default printer, all works fine and no error message appears.

Can anybody help me with this problem? I have the newest Version of pdf xchange viewer installed.

This only happens with user accounts, the admin can print also if a hardware printer is set to default printer
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Error Message if i try to use the print option

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi phatair,
i have installed the PDF XChange Viewer (free version) on our terminalserver. I hope this is legal.
It is and we are happy to have you use the Free Viewer this way. A tip - you might want to consider hiding the 'Pro' features because they will put water marks on your PDf's if used. https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowled ... ree-Viewer
If i open a PDF file and go to file -> print i get an error message "PDFXCview.exe - Error in appication".
Does this happen only when selecting a specific physical printer or any? Also do you get that message while the pint dialogue is open or is that after you send the print job to the printer?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
phatair
User

Post by phatair »

Hi Paul,
thanks a lot for your help and the hint with the pro features :)
Does this happen only when selecting a specific physical printer or any? Also do you get that message while the pint dialogue is open or is that after you send the print job to the printer?
It happens only if i have a physical printer set to default in the Windows Printer settings (it happens with all physical printers). I get this error message befor the print dialogue is open.

This happens only with users, the admin (or users with admin rights) didnt have this problem.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for that phatair,

I don't want to be pedantic - but I need to understand how this is happening. If you get the message before the Print dialogue is open then how are you selecting a printer?
If i select a software printer like a pdf printer or microsoft XPS document printer as default printer, all works fine and no error message appears.
Typically you select the printer using the Print Dialogue...

Is it that you can print after setting a virtual printer as default then calling the print job and failing if you set a physical printer as default then call the job?

I'm interested in determining if the issue is the default setting or does this happen when printing to any physical printer - even one not set to default?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
phatair
User

Post by phatair »

Hi Paul,

sorry for this misunderstanding, my english is not the best.

Lets start from the beginning.

Normally our users have set the default printer in windows to a physical printer.
Now the users open a pdf file with the XChange Viewer and go to file -> print. No print dialogue appears, only the error message "PDFXCview.exe - Error in application" with the buttons "ok" and "cancel". The XChange Viewer will be closed if i click ok or cancel.

If i go now in the windows printer settings and set the default printer to an software printer like "microsoft XPS document printer" and open the XChange Viewer again, go to file -> print the print dialogue opens. Now i can print the pdf with the "microsoft XPS document printer". If i change the printer in the print dialogue to a physical printer i get the error message again.

This problem doesnt occur if i logged on with an admin account.

I hope this explanation was a bit better :)
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for that phatair,

it would seem that the issue is related to your physical printer drivers and the way PDF-XChange is communicating to them. Can you confirm that the physical printers in question have the latest drivers installed? Terminal Servers are known for being somewhat demanding in their needs for solid drivers - a bad print driver can bring a Terminal Server to it's knees...

So - in order for us to see if we can reproduce this we would need the details of one of your physical printers - the exact make and model and most importantly the driver version in use.
Our OS is Windows Server 2003 with SP2.
I am assuming this is a 32 bit server? We will need to attempt to reproduce your environment and simulate having your physical printer so if you send these details we will investigate. I should warn however that this may take some time, it's not likely to be resolved today...
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
phatair
User

Post by phatair »

Hi Paul,

no we dont have the latest drivers installed because the printers are used by ERP software and it is not so easy to update the print drivers.

We have more then 10 different printers here.

I figure out that the error message only appears by one printer modell - the NRG C7425dn with PCL 6 drivers. Driver version 10/12/2004,1.1.0.0
if i logged in with an admin user the same printer modell works with XChange Viewer.

Thanks a lot for your help!!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello phatair,

And thanks for the additional details and pinpointing the problematic device and drivers.
We will now check it and see what could be done.

Best,
Stefan
phatair
User

Post by phatair »

Hi Stefan,

thanks a lot for your great support.

Attached you can find the driver we use on the terminalserver.
Attachments
driver_NRG_c7425dn.zip
(1.32 MiB) Downloaded 161 times
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks phatair,

we are setting up a 2003 Terminal Server now. We hope to know more early next week.

:-)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
phatair
User

Post by phatair »

Thanks Paul,

i hope you can fix this problem. Thanks again for your help.
phatair
User

Post by phatair »

Hi,

is there any progress on this problem?

Grettings
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi phatair,

yes some progress, the Terminal Server is installed and set up for the tests now. Sorry it's taken a little longer than anticipated. :-(

We should have something for you very soon now.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
phatair
User

Post by phatair »

HI Paul,

that is no problem. Have a nice weekend.
Katya - Tracker Supp
User

Post by Katya - Tracker Supp »

Hi phatair,

The problem is reproduced at our side. We've created the ticket in our internal system (T #1433), so we can easily follow this case.

Regards,
Katya
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi phatair,

we have determined the cause of the issue and the fix will be in build 202. Please update your Viewer when it is available for download and confirm the fix.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
phatair
User

Post by phatair »

Hi Paul and Katya,

thanks so much for your great support. We have so much problems with the acrobat reader (bad performance, no tabs, internal links and so on) that i'm very happy to use the xchange viewer. I hope the new version will released very soon :)
I will give you feedback.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi phatair,

we are pleased to be able to help. We don't have a date yet for build 202. I can email you using the email address you used on this forum or simply post here when it is available. Let me know which you prefer.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
phatair
User

Post by phatair »

Hi Paul,
it would be great if you can post here when it is available.

Greetings
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Sure - I can post here once we have a date for 202.

:-)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke