"negative colours" visualization of image based pdf

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Ricaz
User

"negative colours" visualization of image based pdf

Post by Ricaz »

Hi there!
I just have a question (it is not actually a problem, it is half a suggestion and half a curiosity)...
I normally work with scanned pdfs (I suppose that I can define them as "image based pdfs", ie non searchable..).
Having a look at Foxit, I saw that it does somehow visualize "image based pdfs" in the negative, ie with the black background and the white fonts (the standard visualization is of course white background and black fonts)... I did not know it could be done, because I had never been able to do it with X-change (my favourite program, of course!).

Now, am I missing out something of the X-change settings? I have tried some configurations in the accessibility setttings, but I could not obtain it...
If it is not currently possible, is this option available in the "pro"? if not, I think that it could be a good thing to work on for future versions... if it is technically feasible with your product.
I attach a zipped snapshot with the same file visualised with both programs.

If that's helpful, with Foxit I had selected:
replace document colours,
custom colours: page background black
document text ANYTHING BUT WHITE (I selected a very light grey, selecting white it does not work at all..)

thank you very much for your help, and the wonderful program!
Attachments
NegativeVisualization.7z
Image of the same pdf visualized with X-change in "positive" and with Foxit in "negative"
(271.6 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
Jamie - Tracker Supp
User

Re: "negative colours" visualization of image based pdf

Post by Jamie - Tracker Supp »

Hi Ricaz,

This can be done. Simply on the file toolbar choose Edit->Preferences, then select the Accessibility category. Place a check beside "Override Document Colors", select the radio button beside "Use Predefined High-Contrast Color Scheme:" and choose, "Green text on black".

This will give you a black background with green text.

Regards,
Jamie.
Ricaz
User

Post by Ricaz »

Hi Jamie, thanks for your reply!
I had already tried that, but it worked only with "searchable" pdfs. It does not seem to work with "non-searchable image-based pdfs", and I thought it was not possible (but, as I wrote in the first post, it IS possible on Foxit reader, hence my post).

I attach a couple of snapshots... in the second you can see that the searchable pdf (left) is "negative", the non-searchable image-based pdf (right) is positive as usual. I would like to know if there is a way to "negativize" the non-searchable image-based pdf as well , as in Foxit.
You can see my current settings as well... they are as you meant, aren't they? I could not get precisely what you meant with "Radio button"
Attachments
NegativeViewSettings.zip
snapshots
(487.16 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Ricaz,

you are correct, this is only for text based PDFs. We do not offer a 'negative colours' option for image based PDFs.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Ricaz
User

Post by Ricaz »

I think it would be worth to add it to the "wish list", for future developments...
thank you very much!

Ricaz
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Ricaz,

I've added that to the wish list. No promises on delivery though...

:-)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Walter-Tracker Supp
User

Post by Walter-Tracker Supp »

There's a windows feature that allows you to easily do this. You run the accessibility tool "magnifier" (find it by typing "magnifier" in the search box in Windows 7, for example). Once magnifier starts you can zoom out to 100% (normal view, since you probably don't really want to see the magnified version of your screen) and then click the gear icon for settings. Under that submenu is an "invert colours" option that inverts the whole display. It will remain inverted for as long as that checkbox is selected and magnifier is running. You can leave it in the background and just click the checkbox every time you wish to switch from normal to inverted view.

Hope this helps.

-Walter
Ricaz
User

Post by Ricaz »

that sounds like an interesting compromise... however, thanks to the amazing capabilities of Win 7 (or to my massive stupidity) if I run Magnify.exe (or links which purport to open it) the system opens the "screen resolution window"... that's nice!

I'll try to sort this problem out... thanks, in the meanwhile!
Jamie - Tracker Supp
User

Post by Jamie - Tracker Supp »

Hi Ricaz,

That is odd. I have pasted Magnify.exe in to my Windows 7 search box and the magnifier popped right up! Your Windows installation must be unhappy.

J.
Walter-Tracker Supp
User

Post by Walter-Tracker Supp »

Ricaz wrote:that sounds like an interesting compromise... however, thanks to the amazing capabilities of Win 7 (or to my massive stupidity) if I run Magnify.exe (or links which purport to open it) the system opens the "screen resolution window"... that's nice!

I'll try to sort this problem out... thanks, in the meanwhile!
That's odd. Maybe you'll have luck finding it directly? In Windows 7 the main shortcut is under (StartMenu)->All Programs->Accessories->Ease of access->Magnifier; you may also find it in other windows flavours under Programs->Accessibility (or maybe it was Accessories->Accessibility). Direct link is %windir%\system32\magnify.exe (usually c:\windows\system32\magnify.exe).

You probably already know all of this but I figured we should cover all the bases. If you can find it, it's a pretty useful toggle for doing what you want to do.

-Walter