Error when pasting (ping!)

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

giacomo.ciani
User

Error when pasting (ping!)

Post by giacomo.ciani »

Hi all,

I've been using PDF-Exchange viewer free for couple of years now, going through several versions. It's an amazing program, but there is a little problem that is bugging me since at least one year (but it might be more). Sometimes, when I try to copy an annotation (actually, for what I do it's usually just a circle) and paste it somewhere else in the same document or in a different one, all I get is a "ping", and the object is not pasted. It looks like the "copy" operation works fine, as the "paste" command (that is greyed out when the clipboard is empty) becomes available after I issue the "copy" command. Moreover, the problem is sporadic, and often solved by just restarting the program. On occasions, I was even able to make it work without restart by switching several different tools ans doing random operations, trying and trying... but I have no clue of what triggered the solution of the problem.

Has any of your had the same problem? Any hint on the causes? Possible solutions?

Many thanks

Giacomo

P.S. I've searched the forum for similar issues, but no luck...
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Re: Error when pasting (ping!)

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

No idea, but your Operating System and hardware specs willl probably be needed. Are you using any clipboard manager?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
giacomo.ciani
User

Post by giacomo.ciani »

Well, the issue appeared on two different laptops and two different operating systems (Windows Vista and 7). The current one is a Dell Latitude E6510 with intel core i&. Not sure what other specifications might be needed... the complete list is pretty long! :-)

As for the clipboard manager... no. I'm not using any. The only thing that I can think could interfere with the clipboard is Keepass, a password manager that I often have opened in background. It has a function to automatically clean the clipboard after a paste, if you have copied a password in it. However, I've not been able to find a relation between the two. In addition, I've never had copy/paste problems with any other program...

Thanks for the interest!

Giacomo
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Giacomo,

Could you please also let us know the exact build of the Viewer you are using (you can find it in Help -> About) - and if it's not build 2.5.199 - then I would recommend you to download and try this build first:
www.tracker-software.com/PDFXVwer.zip

Best,
Stefan
giacomo.ciani
User

Post by giacomo.ciani »

Hi Stefan,

the build is indeed 2.5.199. But, as I said, it also happened with previous ones. Is there anything I can do _when_ it happens to help you debug the problem (like collecting log files or similar)?.

Thanks

Giacomo
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Giacomo,

This is a rather strange problem, and you are the only one to have reported this so far, so I'd suspect there is some other software that you are using causing this. You say that it's not the password cleaner, but maybe it's your AntiVirus (AV) software?

Best,
Stefan
giacomo.ciani
User

Post by giacomo.ciani »

The only antivirus software I'm running is Microsoft security essentials. I believe (but not 100% sure) I started using it in a more recent period wrt when I started observing the issue, so I doubt it is the cause. On the other hand, it is true that most of the programs I normally use haven't changed much in the past two years, so if one of them is the cause, it has probably always been there.

Although I use the viewer very often (it's a great piece of software), I do not use it as often for the specific task in which I need to cut/paste graphical elements; in addition, not every time I try, the problem is there. So, having to restart it to fix the problem isn't a big deal (especially because it has the "restore previous tabs" option!). I just wanted to check if it was a known problem... with a maybe known solution! :)

Just for your curiosity, I usually keep the viewer always open, and I'm working on a laptop that I restart only every several days. As a result, the viewer stays open for long times (and I surely open and close many programs int he meanwhile) and goes through many hibernate/sleep cycles. If it's the interaction with one of this operations to cause the problem, it could be very difficult to track down. I do not remember having the issue on a fresh started viewer (but I might just be before I restart it so seldom...)

Thanks for the interest

Giacomo
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Giacomo,

Thanks for the details about how you use the system.
I have a vague feeling that it's the hibernates that are causing this, but I can't base this on any facts or previous cases - it's just a feeling. And then - in the past we have had issues with files opened from network locations and hibernates - but that was resolved.

I really am out of ideas now, and would recommend the odd restart of the Viewer every 2-3 days - even though the problem you have isn't one that leads to loss of information - it's still best to prevent it.

Best,
Stefan
giacomo.ciani
User

Post by giacomo.ciani »

I share you feeling about the hibernates... I'll try to keep that in mind and see if I can find a relation. Also, if I discover anything new about the issue, I'll let you know.

In the meanwhile, thanks a lot for the prompt support (that adds to the value of the software!).

Giacomo
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Pleasure to help Giacomo,

And certainly - if you manage to nail down any specific routine that we could try to reproduce - do let us know!

Regards,
Stefan
nist
User

Post by nist »

I am having a similar problem on a form. I am trying to paste my signature from another pdf that I have successfully copied. In the target document the paste button is greyed out. I am running v2.5 Build 200 (Pro) on Windows 7.

Permissions are greyed out on the target document - no editing allowed.
Last edited by nist on Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi nist,

have you checked the document properties to ensure that modifying the document is allowed? https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowled ... dits-to-it

CTRL+D will open the document properties where you can check this.

If you still have issues - please provide a sample PDF for us to analyze and advise on further.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Kevinx
User

Post by Kevinx »

Hi,

First of all, thank you for the very, very nice software.

I have just experienced the exact same problem as the original poster. After working for about an hour making, adjusting and copying mark-ups in a pdf it suddently became impossible to copy/paste the marks. I could still use the "camera tool" to copy/paste a section of the sheet but not the marks I had created using the other tools.

I'm running version 2.5 (Build 200.0). The program had only been open for about an hour and had not hibernated. No clipboard manager, no password manager, no problems with the document proporties.

This was the first time ever I've had the problem, and it was resolved by restarting the program. Mind you, I've just upgraded from xp to 7 on a Dell Latitude E6400 and at the same time updated the PDF Viewer from an olders version.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Kevin,

We've released build 201 a few days ago, so can you please try updating to it and let us know if the problem happens again.

Best,
Stefan