Force Orthogonal Lines When Using Pencil Tool

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

kier.a
User

Force Orthogonal Lines When Using Pencil Tool

Post by kier.a »

Hi Support,

I mark-up a lot of graphical models like Mathworks' Simulink. These models are mainly straight and orthogonal lines.The pencil tool is great for marking-up signal lines but this seems to only work free-hand. I did check the manual BTW.

I noticed with other applications that a free-hand draw tool can be made to only go in orthoganal directions if I press a key modifier. For example, if I draw a line in Powerpoint and press shift the line will snap to N, NE, E, SW S etc. directions. Can you implment a similar feature? Just N - S and E - W would be sufficient.

Thank you very much.
Win XP SP3, Lenovo W500, 3066MB RAM
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Force Orthogonal Lines When Using Pencil Tool

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Kier.a,

This doesn't work with our pencil tool, but if you use the Line tool - holding down shift will allow you to place lines at angles that are multiple of 45º (0, 45, 90, 135 etc.).

Best,
Stefan
kier.a
User

Post by kier.a »

Thanks Stefan.

Yes, that should do the trick. Should've looked harder and saved myself some typing!

Kier.
Win XP SP3, Lenovo W500, 3066MB RAM
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)

In any case - glad we could help!

Cheers,
Stefan
urbinsky
User

Post by urbinsky »

Any chance of adding this feature? Eight years later and still not in there? I will probably have to switch back to Bluebeam for technical markups, can't really live without straight pencil lines. I know the line tool is an option but exclusive mode doesn't appear to function correctly, and it doesn't allow erasure with the eraser tool. "SHIFT" for straight pencil line would let me make the switch!
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, urbinsky

We have not implemented this as the availability of the line tool has been plenty for almost every user who has been looking for it. Yes, the eraser tool does not work with the Line tool, but there should not be any issues with exclusive mode. Could I ask what you mean when you say that exclusive mode doesn't appear to function correctly?

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com