Linking: Relative paths to other documents?

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

PdfSnooper
User

Linking: Relative paths to other documents?

Post by PdfSnooper »

When you link from one document to another, isn't it possible somehow to use a relative path instead of an absolute path?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Linking: Relative paths to other documents?

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello PdfSnooper,

Yes it's possible, when making the links - create them relative, and they should stay like this.
When you hover over a link in our Viewer you will see the full path, but if you move the document and reopen it in the Viewer the "full" path should update accordingly.

Best,
Stefan
PdfSnooper
User

Post by PdfSnooper »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:
Yes it's possible, when making the links - create them relative, and they should stay like this.
But how do I do that?? I can't write in the "file name" field, but have to use the file browser, and it always inserts the full path to the document.

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: When you hover over a link in our Viewer you will see the full path,

I understand that part.
Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: but if you move the document and reopen it in the Viewer the "full" path should update accordingly.
But not this part.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello PdfSnooper,

Please take a look at this KB on the subject:
How do I add links to a document
For how to create the links. The File Path Field should be active and you be allowed to type in it. If you are not - then you are using an older build of our products and need to update:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/downloads

And for the part that you don't understand let me give you an example. Hope this will make the things clear:

You have a file with a relative link in it pointing to "./subfolder/another_file.pdf"
If your file is in e.g. C:\Documents - you path you will see when you hover over the link inside the Viewer would be "C:\Documents\subfolder\another_file.pdf" but if you move this file to e.g. C:\Desktop the link will still be relative, but you will see
"C:\Desktop\subfolder\another_file.pdf" if you hober over the link.
So it will seem as the paths inside the Viewer are "absolute" but they are in fact relative.

Best,
Stefan
PdfSnooper
User

Post by PdfSnooper »

Please take a look at this KB on the subject:
How do I add links to a document
Yes, know this.

For how to create the links. The File Path Field should be active and you be allowed to type in it. If you are not - then you are using an older build of our products and need to update:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/downloads
It is not active. I can not type text in the "file name" field, only choice is to click on the button next to the "file name" field (to open the 'open dialog')

I am using version 2.5 Build 199
Jamie - Tracker Supp
User

Post by Jamie - Tracker Supp »

Hi PdfSnooper,

Could you zip up and add an example pdf for us to take a look at?

Regards,
Jamie.
PdfSnooper
User

Post by PdfSnooper »

Jamie - Tracker Supp wrote:
Could you zip up and add an example pdf for us to take a look at?
It worries me you ask that. Surely its the Program which doesn't do this, and the actual PDF is not relevant?

It could be any PDF - I can do a "New Document/From Blank Page" and the problem persists.

Perhaps I should outline each step, so we are sure we talk about the same thing, and if I have overlooked something:

1. I open any document in PDF-XChange viewer (could be one I just made in the program)
2. I select the "Rectangle Link Tool"
3. I drag out a square - the "Link Properties" window opens.
4. I select actions.
5. I select 'Add "Go to a page in another document"'
6. The 'New Action: "Go to a page in another document"' window opens.
7. In the upper right hand corner is the "File Name:" field (right under "Target Document"). There is a cursor flashing in the "File Name:" field, but the field is read only, and no matter what i press on the keyboard, nothing is entered.
8. I can click on the button next to the "File Name:" field and a file will be inserted, but it will have its full path. Since the field is read only, I can't edit the path out.

If you still want a PDF, I can generate a new one
Jamie - Tracker Supp
User

Hi PdfSnooper,

My mistake, I was confused by Stefan's post. We have spoken with the development team and they have told us it is a valid concern and to make a ticket for it. Which I will. When there is progress on the challenge I will email you.

Regards,
Jamie.
PdfSnooper
User

Post by PdfSnooper »

Thanks Jamie, I'll look forward to that :)
Jamie - Tracker Supp
User

PdfSnooper,

No Problem, I checked your account and you don't have an email listed. If you want me to email you just update your user or PM the email.

Regards,
Jamie.