Cannot open pdfs from outside PDF-XChange Viewer

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

discs
User

Cannot open pdfs from outside PDF-XChange Viewer

Post by discs »

Hi,

Thank you for the forum.

I have just installed the portable version of PDF-XChange Viewer: version 2.5 (Build 199.0) on a Windows 7 64bit Home Premium computer. (Previously I only had the built-in PDF reader with Google Chrome, which was set as my default for all PDFs).

Once I installed the portable XChange Viewer I did have some problems changing it to be the default PDF reader. Apparently this is a known problem on Windows 7 systems http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 8dbe96e327. If a program doesn't go through an installer and has previouly been installed to a different location, a registry fix to point to its new location is needed to enable it to be related to the 'Open With' and File associations dialogues.

Anyhow, on my system PDF-XChange Viewer is now associated (in the Open With/File associations dialogues) with opening all PDF documents. All our PDF documents show the PDF-XChange Viewer icon. There is a problem though. If I click on a pdf document, or shortcut to it, PDF-XChange Viewer does snap open - but with a blank page; it does not show me the document I clicked on!

I can open pdf documents and view them normally as long as I do so from within PDF-XChange Viewer, using File > Open or double clicking on the blank page to access the Open File dialogue and choosing a file. This opening of a file from within PDF-XChange Viewer is successful.

I would be grateful for any suggestion/solution as to why I am having the problem of opening pdf documents from outside PDF-XChange Viewer.

Thank you.

P.S. As feedback: the reason the Google Chrome PDF reader proved inadequate for us wasn't particularly because of its limited functionality - yes, it is limited; my wife and I usually simply read PDFs. But in some situations (for example bank statements and biils) the rendering of documents by the Chrome PDF reader is very poor - whereas PDF-XChange Viewer renders them excellently!
discs
User

Re: Cannot open pdfs from outside PDF-XChange Viewer

Post by discs »

Solved: I cannot give a technical explanation. I simply removed portable PDF-XChange Viewer, and then went through the registry and deleted all entries relating to it. I then reinstalled/extracted portable PDF-XChange Viewer - and even the Open With/File association dialogues worked first time. No registry fix required - and everything is working as it should.

My only sense is that changing the initial location to then install portable PDF-XChange Viewer to a new location somehow caused a problem/confusion in the system.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello discs,

Glad to hear that you resolved the problem, and yes - it seems like file associations issue rather than something wrong with our Portable Viewer.

Best,
Stefan
prr
User

Post by prr »

Another solution, and one I'd recommend if an update to Chrome changes your ability to use PDFXChange as the in-browser reader, is to simply go to about:plugins in the Chrome URL bar, and then disable the Google Chrome PDF reader, and enable (if necessary) the PDFXChange plugin.

It was driving me crazy--I love the Chrome browser, but I hate how they will make changes like this without letting you in on how to change it back.

I found the above in a Chrome forum and all is well.
Windows 11
PDFX-Change Editor current
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Excellent suggestion - many thanks :-)
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com