Display in Browser unticked, won't open pdf files in separat

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

MLasby
User

Display in Browser unticked, won't open pdf files in separat

Post by MLasby »

I just upgraded computers to Windows 7 Pro with XP mode. I am using FireFox 7.0.1 and PDF Viewer Pro 2.5.199. I have unticked the box in PDF Viewer for "Display in Browser" but whenever I click on a link to a pdf file in FF it opens inPDF Viewer in another FF window. I expected it to open PDF Viewer as a separate program and then open the pdf file. That is the way Windows XP Pro SP3 used to work with the same versions of FF and PDF Viewer.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Display in Browser unticked, won't open pdf files in sep

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello MLasby,

Please have a look at this KB article:
I have a problem with opening pdf files directly inside a tab in Firefox. They open in the stand alone Viewer

While it's addressing exactly the opposite issue - on the first screenshot there you can see the "Save File" option - and this is the one you need to set in order to make your files be saved on your disk - and then you can open them with the stand alone Viewer.

Best,
Stefan
MLasby
User

Post by MLasby »

PDF files were not listed in the Tools / Options / Applications / Content Type list. After searching FF Help I figured out the my mimeTypes.rdf file was corrupt. To fix it I:
1) Closed FF
2) Found my FF profile folder
3) Deleted mimeTypes.rdf
4) Started FF
5) Opened Tools / Options /Applications
6) Found PDF-XChange Viewer Document in Content Type list
7) Changed the Action to Use PDF-XChange Viewer (default)

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. You can mark this topic as closed.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Glad we could help MLasby,

And thanks for sharing the information on how to fix the mimeTypes.rdf file in FireFox - hope that this will be useful to other users of these forums!

Case now closed! ;)

Best,
Stefan