Printing a file makes PDFXChange crash

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

prr
User

Printing a file makes PDFXChange crash

Post by prr »

I just got a new laptop with Windows 7; PDFXChange is the newest (x.199). Not always, but often enough to continually annoy me, clicking on print on my toolbar will get the program to crash, without sending a file to the printer. I just went through teh print dialog for a file, and it crashed before the dialog window could come up.

EDIT: the problem is not with my printer. Uplooading the same file to Google Docs gets it printed just fine.

Any solutions? I use and print PDFs all the time. I've loved using PDFXChange but this is a real showstopper for me.
Windows 11
PDFX-Change Editor current
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Printing a file makes PDFXChange crash

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi prr,

thanks for the report. I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing this crash. Can I ask you to send me one of the files in question? If this is not related to a specific printer or driver then we should see that crash also when we attempt to print it.

When you print from Google docs you are using your web browser and your printer - when you print directly from PDF-XChange you are using our Viewer and the printer drivers - it may still be specific to that printer if PDF-XChange is not 'talking' properly to that driver. We'll know more when we see your sample file. Please be sure to wrap it in a zip archive before posting or the forum software will strip the attachment.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
prr
User

Post by prr »

OK I attached a sample file, zipped.
Attachments
Hesperia118Fall2011.zip
(391.36 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
Windows 11
Jamie - Tracker Supp
User

Post by Jamie - Tracker Supp »

Hi Prr,

We had no challenges with your document. Could you list the make and model of your printer and the printers driver version number? Supply those and we will take it from there.

Regards,
Jamie
prr
User

Post by prr »

It is an HP Laserjet 1018. It is shared from a wired desktop (Win7), the problems are from my laptop (also Win7) conneccting wirelessly. I was unable to get the driver version number for the printer--in Device manager it didn't show up, and in looking into the printer properties, it didn't list a driver.
Windows 11
Jamie - Tracker Supp
User

Hi Prr,

It sounds as though you are using the default windows driver. Our first task will be to update it. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/soft ... ct=1814094

That url will take you to the download page. Simply choose your OS, download, and run. Reboot after installation and test it out.

Regards,
Jamie
prr
User

Post by prr »

So far so good. I was able to bring up the print dialog, and did a print job.

I'll post back in the next day or two as I get to print more print jobs.

Thanks for the help so far.
Windows 11
Jamie - Tracker Supp
User

Hi Prr,

I am glad to see we may have made some progress. Do post back after your testing and let us know how it went or if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Jamie.
prr
User

Post by prr »

Hmm hope I didn't waste anyone's time here, but it appears now that this is not just something that affects PDFXChange, but happens when I print in MS Word as well. This means that PDFXC has been ruled out as the culprit (a good thing), and now I'm suspecting some interaction between my printer and the Win7 OS my laptop has. The printer is incredibly reliable but 4 yo and might not have been designed for the Win7 way of doing things---I dunno.

This doesn't happen too often--at least not for the last several days--so I'll just live with it until it becomes a major annoyance.

Thanks for all who responded.
Windows 11
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi Prr,

well sorry to hear its a system wide problem - but relieved to ehar its not a PDF-Xchange related issue ...

Good luck and hope you find a satisfactory solution ..

thanks for coming back to let us know.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com