Firefox Plugin shows old version

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Adric
User

Firefox Plugin shows old version

Post by Adric »

Although I have PDF-XViewer 2.5.199.0 installed, Firefox shows 2.5.197.0 in the Addons-Manager Plugins section. Anyone know why?

Those of you that have 199 installed and use Firefox - do you see the same thing?

Thanks
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Firefox Plugin shows old version

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Adric,

If you had FireFox running with a PDF open inside the browser while you updated our Viewer - the viewer plug-in file might have been locked and hence not properly updated.

Please manually go to the Viewer installation folder, and copy the npPDFXCviewNPPlugin.dll file from there to the FireFox plug-in folder, and this should update the build number accordingly.

Best,
Stefan
Adric
User

Post by Adric »

Okay, that updated the version, but the strange thing is there was no npPDFXCviewNPPlugin.dll in the Firefox plugin directory to start with, but I was still able to view PDFs from Firefox.

Thanks ..
Jamie - Tracker Supp
User

Post by Jamie - Tracker Supp »

Hi Adric,

That is odd, it should be there. Could you do a search of your drive and find the path for me? It is in two places on my computer. In the install directory and in the firefox plugin directory.

Regards,
Jamie
Adric
User

Post by Adric »

Up to now on my XP system, the plugin was only in the following directory:
C:\Toolbx\PDF-XChange\PDF Viewer\

I found the following reg entry which may explain why the dll didn't have to be in the FF plugins directory.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MozillaPlugins]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MozillaPlugins\@docu-track.com/PDF-XChange Viewer Plugin,version=1.0,application/pdf]
"Path"="C:\\Toolbx\\PDF-XChange\\PDF Viewer\\npPDFXCviewNPPlugin.dll"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MozillaPlugins\@docu-track.com/PDF-XChange Viewer Plugin,version=1.0,application/pdf\MimeTypes]
@="application/pdf"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MozillaPlugins\@docu-track.com/PDF-XChange Viewer Plugin,version=1.0,application/pdf\MimeTypes\application/pdf]
@=""

HKLM too.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Adric,

it seems that you have some quite old legacy entries in your hive. It also appears that you had installed to a non standard location.

The default location for the viewer install is: C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Viewer and this is the directory the plugin usually resides in - as well as the FF plugins directory which in my case is C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\plugins

You might want to consider cleaning up your installetion, deleting all those reg keys and running the Viewer install again. If you have a license then the serial key should be retained - it`s in the registry also. If you want to send your serial key to support@tracker-softawre.com I can send detailed instructions on a reinstall using your license. Do not post the serial key here or we will be forced to diable it.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
United600
User

Post by United600 »

Hi.

I was having the same problem, I solved it by deleting the "pluginreg.dat" file from my Firefox profile ("C:\users\...\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\") and let Firefox build a new one, that little trick solve the problem. Then I started wondering why the file wasn't updated and I think I found the problem in the registry.

Mozilla documentation states the following:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Gecko_ ... g_Plug-ins

"On Windows, plugins should be installed to a plugin-specific directory such as C:\Program Files\Plugin Name\nppluginname.dll. Then the following registry values should be added to the Windows registry (the plugin-identifier should follow the specification):

HKLM/Software/MozillaPlugins/plugin-identifier
Descripton: REG_SZ "Description of the Plugin"
Path: REG_SZ "C:\..Path to the plugin.dll"
ProductName: REG_SZ "The Plugin Name"
Vendor: REG_SZ "The Plugin Author/Vendor"
Version: REG_SZ "0.5.whatever plugin version string"
HKLM/Software/MozillaPlugins/plugin-identifier/MimeTypes
Add a sub-key for each MIME type the plugin supports, with no values"

PDF-XChange Viewer does the following:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@tracker-software.com/PDF-XChange Viewer Plugin,version=1.0,application/pdf]
"Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Tracker Software\\PDF Viewer\\npPDFXCviewNPPlugin.dll"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@tracker-software.com/PDF-XChange Viewer Plugin,version=1.0,application/pdf\MimeTypes]
@="application/pdf"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@tracker-software.com/PDF-XChange Viewer Plugin,version=1.0,application/pdf\MimeTypes\application/pdf]

For comparison Flash:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@adobe.com/FlashPlayer]
"Path"="C:\\Windows\\system32\\Macromed\\Flash\\NPSWF32.dll"
"ProductName"="Adobe Flash Player 10.1 Plugin"
"Vendor"="Adobe Systems Incorporated"
"Description"="Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 Plugin"
"Version"="11.0.1.152"
"XPTPath"="C:\\Windows\\system32\\Macromed\\Flash\\flashplayer.xpt"

Also from the same documentation:
Installing Plug-ins

Plugins should not be installed into the Firefox directory. The plugin installer should either package the plugin into an extension and install it using normal extension installation practices, or install the plugin to the system standard install locations.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

HI Adric,

thanks for that - most interesting. I've asked my development team to consider this. Maybe we can get this sorted out...
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Corwin - Tracker Sup
User

Post by Corwin - Tracker Sup »

Hi all,

What version of Firefox you are using? As I have test it with FF7, plugin version updates fine, after every restart of FF.
MichealJhon
User

Post by MichealJhon »

I think you should removed first for your browser then then try...

Best regards,
Micheal.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)