iFilter

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

samoht
User

iFilter

Post by samoht »

Would someone be kind enough to explain:
1) how can I tell if iFilter is installed? I allow on installation "shell extensions", but see no specific request to install iFilter.
2) How do you access iFilter? Is this only from with PDFviewer or should it be available within the MS search function? The manual does not seem to cover how to use iFilter.

I am very interested on being able to search keywords associated with PDF files. It appears from information I have seen that iFilter allows this to happen. But, I have not been able to access this function.

OS = XP
PDFviewer = 2.5.197

Thank you for any help.
Thomas Simms
Jamie - Tracker Supp
User

Re: iFilter

Post by Jamie - Tracker Supp »

If you are using Microsoft Search, you need IFilters. IFilters allow the indexer to read different file formats. Without an appropriate IFilter, the file contents will not be indexed, and when you search for those contents, you won't find anything! That being said we include an IFilter with the viewer(it is installed by default, its in the component list in the installer with a check mark).

This works with Microsoft Search which provides the user interface. So just search with Microsoft Search and you are using our IFilter plugin to search PDFs!
samoht
User

Post by samoht »

By Microsoft search I am assuming you are talking about Microsoft Search 4.0 rather than the search function that is installed by default with MS XP, if that correct?
Jamie - Tracker Supp
User

The original Windows XP search was replaced October 25, 2007 when Windows Desktop Search 3.01 was automatically pushed out and installed on Windows when updated via Windows Server Update Services (WSUS). Since then it has been replaced by Windows Desktop search which then was replaced by Windows Search. Version 4.0 of Windows Search is the present version which was released on June 3rd, 2008.
samoht
User

Post by samoht »

Windows search is not installed unless you do it voluntarily, it is not pushed - unless you have your update selections set to accept everything MS pushes. So from your comments I am again assuming that ifilter requires "windows search" to be installed?

Thanks for your time.
Jamie - Tracker Supp
User

Yes.
:)
Jamie - Tracker Supp
User

Footnote for my previous post.

WDS revision update, expanded applicability rules, auto-approve revisions
WSUS Team
WSUS Team

37,193 Recent Achievements 2 2 2 Blogger III Blog Party Starter Blog Conversation Starter View Profile
24 Oct 2007 10:58 PM Comments 613
Some customers have reported that update package for KB917013 was being deployed to WSUS clients without having approved the update for installation on their WSUS servers. The original update release, released February 2007 as an optional update, was only applicable on systems which had a version of Windows Desktop Search installed. The recent update Revision 105, had the applicability logic expanded to be applicable to all systems regardless if a prior version of Windows Desktop Search was installed, IF of course, approved in the WSUS Administrative UI or via Administrator-set auto-approval rules.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/wsus/archive ... sions.aspx