Missing shortcuts to swtich fobetween bookmarks and document

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

bitfix
User

Post by bitfix »

Hi, Im new to PDF-XChange Viewer.

I can't figure out how to do simple keyboard operations with this program.

When I read a technical book, I need to flip between sections all the time. So I want to switch focus between the document, to go page up and down, and the bookmars to jump between sections in my books. But how to do that without using the mouse. Is it possible ?

I have searched for this subject but I find only subjects on switching viewing of open documents where CTRL-TAB is the obvious keycombination.

I would have expected CTRL+B to set focus on Bookmarks when these are shown so I can navigate in the bookmarks with the keys. I would also expect CTRL+B to set focus on the document when the bookmarks are hidden, but it doesn't. Where does focus go after the bookmarks are hidden.

Ex. When the open dialog is shown with CTRL+O, focus is set on the open dialog alright, so I can continue operating the open dialog with the keys.

Maybe I'm not thinking here, but then a hint would be nice :oops:

Very nice program though. I have been using Foxit until now, and have other problems of such nature there.
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Re: Missing shortcuts to swtich fobetween bookmarks and document

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The Left/Right cursor keys work for me.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
bitfix
User

Post by bitfix »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, but it didn't help me :(

When i have focus on bookmarks and use left and right arrow keys, the boomarks fold and expand.

I want to be able to use the keyboard to switch focus to bookmarks, use keys to find another section, press enter to show the page at that section, and then use some key combination to set focus to the document, so keys work with the document onwards.

Anyone who knows how to do this - or is it not possible at all to do ordinary navigation functions by keyboard only.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello bitfix,

I am afraid that the only way to go to the bookmarks with the keyboard only is "Ctrl + Shift + B" - which is a "create new bookmark" command.

There are no shortcuts either defined or customizable that you could use to just switch between the panes in the Viewer, so I think that using the mouse will probably be the faster option.

We are redesigning the Viewer, and you could see what's coming up in ver3 here:
https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... hp?t=10100
We are currently stalling all feature requests (FR) so that the dev guys could focus all their efforts on finalizing the initial build of ver 3, but if after the release there is still no way to toggle between the toolbars please come back to this topic and we will create a FR for the dev team so that such a feature is considered.

Best,
Stefan
bitfix
User

Post by bitfix »

Thank you for your reply.

It's not my decision, whether you should implement "natural" GUI behaviour. I have made my point, it up to you to take it from here.

Do your sincerely mean that, I should wait for a new version, then test it for you, and then report back again on the same issue :shock:

I would have expected you to reply: "Hey, its true that this is a problem, we will make a point of it, and implement it as soon as possible".
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello bitfix,

Apologies if my previous statement sounded impolite .

Yes I confirm that it will be more user friendly if there is a keyboard shortcut to switch between the different panes, and I am pretty sure the guys in development will agree with that, but all the postponing here is to try and reduce the load and stress we are already putting on them.

All I wanted to say is that there are lots of changes that will happen with ver3 and the lists of features is changing constantly. So my above post was intended to be just a friendly suggestion that we'd better wait with making this new feature request (FR) as the devs could have already planned this feature, and only if it is not already present when ver3 is released then return to this case and make the official FR.

Regards,
Stefan
sedlakp
User

Re: Missing shortcuts to swtich fobetween bookmarks and docu

Post by sedlakp »

I've just started using PDF-XChange and this feature is still missing. Or did I overlook something?

Otherwise the software is perfect. Much better than Adobe Reader. But I really miss the Adobe F5/F6 keyboard command.

Petr
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi sedlakp,

Thanks for the post - it's likely that this is seen as a low priority request, if the Dev. Team have agreed to implement it at all. I will forward the request onto them and will see if there's any more information that I can provide.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
bernhard mayer
User

Post by bernhard mayer »

Hello,
I'd like to second that feature request. We are now at version 6 and it is still impossible to use the program with the keyboard.
This is actually a serious accessibility problem. In every other Windows software that conforms to accessibility guidelines you can switch focus using the tab key, but not so in PDF exchange editor.
This is not just a matter of convenience or a productivity feature for power users but actually poses challenges for handicapped people that have problems using a mouse.
I therefore beg you to put this issue back on your agenda.

Regards.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello bernhard mayer,

Thank you for pointing this out.
Hello,
I'd like to second that feature request. We are now at version 6 and it is still impossible to use the program with the keyboard.
This is actually a serious accessibility problem. In every other Windows software that conforms to accessibility guidelines you can switch focus using the tab key, but not so in PDF exchange editor.
This is not just a matter of convenience or a productivity feature for power users but actually poses challenges for handicapped people that have problems using a mouse.
I therefore beg you to put this issue back on your agenda.

Regards.
I am inclined to agree with you. I have added this to tomorrow's meeting agenda.

Thank you for bringing this back to our attention.

Cheers!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
bernhard mayer
User

Post by bernhard mayer »

Hello,

is there any progress on this front? Or did I miss a changelog?

Best regards
Bernhard Mayer
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Bernhard mayer,

It seems that this has still not been implemented, I have gone directly to the dev team to find out if there is a reason that this feature cannot be implemented.
If there is one I will post here to inform all of you as to why that is.

Best Regards.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
FrodoHackins
User

Post by FrodoHackins »

I do not believe it is just the Bookmarks pane, either. I see this issue a lot with the Thumbnails pane.

• I will be in the Thumbnails pane, where I click on a thumbnail somewhere.
  • At this point, my navigation keystrokes (arrow up, arrow down, page up, page down, etc.) take effect in the Thumbnails pane.
  • Pressing TAB seemingly does nothing to change the focus -- or, really, anything at all.
  • If I want to get focus back to the document itself, I must physically click within the document using my mouse or my tablet's pen.
  • My active tool -- the great majority of the time -- is the Pencil tool, so the click makes a slight mark on the document...
  • ...which I then have to erase or undo.
  • Therefore, every time I want to switch focus back to the document -- so that my arrows, page-up, and page-down will take effect there, instead -- it's like: click, undo...click, undo...click, undo...and so forth.

And my present version of the program is 328.1, so I do hope there will be an easy keyboard shortcut for this soon. Thanks, as always!
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello all,

I am happy to say that the feature request regarding this functionality has been reopened and the Dev team are currently looking at ways of implementation. I am afraid that this does mean there will still be some wait before the features are implemented.
Before now the feature request was marked as stalled as the older versions were simply unable to do this, With the changes we have made to the software it should now be possible and that is why it has taken so long to get to this point.

I apologize for the delay, and am sorry for the inconveniences in the meantime.

Kind regards, and have a Happy New Year!

Support@pdf-xchange.com
bernhard mayer
User

Post by bernhard mayer »

Great news! Really glad to hear that.

Happy New Year!
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

:-D
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
bernhard mayer
User

Post by bernhard mayer »

Any news on this front?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, bernhard mayer

I am sorry to say that we have not yet made progress on this in V8, but the coming V9 update, which is going to include a major accessibility overhaul should have a few ways to help address this in the initial release. V9 is planned for a late September release if all goes according to plan, but we will be able to provide more specifics closer to the release date.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
bernhard mayer
User

Post by bernhard mayer »

That sounds promising!
Thanks for the reply.

Kind regards
Bernhard
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com
cjholly@sbcglobal.net
User

Post by cjholly@sbcglobal.net »

Did I miss this feature being added to v9 or is it still on the drawing board? --Chris
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

HI Chris,

I am still seeing the behaviour. :-(

I will chase this one up.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke