Open one pdf in two or more tabs

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

radekzadek
User

Open one pdf in two or more tabs

Post by radekzadek »

Foxit used to have a handy function. You could open one pdf in two or more tabs. This was very handy as you could open a large book on a contents page, on an index, and on whatever other pages you needed without having to jump from page to page and remember page numbers. Then Foxit removed this function. I switched to PDFXchange, which I much prefer, but this incredibly useful function is missing here too. Could it be implemented? It's absolutely essential for any research. Yes, I know I can use bookmarks but it's not the same.

Also, if bookmarks, then I would love to be able to have somtehing like a quick bookmark activated just from the keyboard. Let' say you are on a page in your book and want to look at a different one and then come back. Or perhaps look at a sequence of twenty different pages but still be able to come back to the one place you want at the click of a button. Let's say you press Ctrl-Q to insert a quick bookmark, and a Ctrl-Shift-Q to go to it. This is actually a feature of the WordPerfect word-processor and any of you who have done a lot of writing will know how useful it is.

So, developers, what do you think?

I also sorely miss the option to save sessions. I research different areas and often have different sets of books open at a time. It's such a pain having to open them all every single time. Yes, there are shortcuts (e.g. I have put shortcuts to my files in one folder and then select them all and open) but it is such a simple thing that I am sure it wouldn't hurt to have it within PDFXchange. After all, it is in my Opera browser and I do use it all the time.
Thank you.
Leo14
User

Re: Open one pdf in two or more tabs

Post by Leo14 »

To store sessions I think there is a comfortable solution you can use today

Open a new PDF write a word or sentence describing your theme and use the Tools/Link menu to make links to one or more other pdfs which are opened automatically if you click on the link. With this link you can jump to a wanted page in a pdf. If you do this for all of your topics you have a center for all of your pdfs. For me this possibility is one of the most interesting feature of the PDF Xchange Viewer.

By the way, if you store the "Main PDF" in a directory an the other PDF ins subdirectories, you con copy the whole package to an other computer, because in this case the XChangeViewer stores relative links.
radekzadek
User

Post by radekzadek »

Thank you, Leo14. Much appreciated.
I have tried it. It does work but it took ever so long to set up a session for 10 files. If there was a function to just save your session at the click of a button, it would be so much simpler.
Meanwhile, I'll make do with this.
Any idea anyone about my second query regarding the possibility of opening the same pdf in more than one tab at the same time?
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I think you should look at the View navigation shortcuts — Alt Left and Alt Right. Its like undo/redo for navigating the pages previously viewed. For example:
  • Go to page 22 from page 1
  • Go to page 34
  • Alt Left to go back to page 22
  • Alt Left to go back to page 1
  • Alt Right to return to page 22 again, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Radek,

I see Bhikkhu answered you in regard of the navigation, and please have a look here:
https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... 35&t=10100
For what is expected in ver3 of the Viewer - I believe this is exactly the split you are looking for :)

Cheers,
Stefan
radekzadek
User

Post by radekzadek »

Yes, wonderful, please make it quick, and if you need beta testers DO count me in!
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi radekzadek,

if you send an email to support@pdf-xchange.com indicating your desire to be a beta tester we will add you to the list of possible candidates. Not all candidates will be selected however, so we will let you know when the time comes.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com