geospatial pdf

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

sawjew
User

geospatial pdf

Post by sawjew »

Is there any way that pdf-xchange viewer can support geospatial pdf files? It's currently the only thing holding me to adobe reader as in every other way I would rather use pdf-xchange viewer.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: geospatial pdf

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello sawjew,

Could you please attach one of those files (archive it first) to this topic so that we can have a look at?

Thanks,
Stefan
sawjew
User

Post by sawjew »

I can't send you one of the files I have here for confidentiality reasons as it is client data, but here is a link to a discussion of Geospatial PDFs with an example file.

http://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/x-mar ... l-pdf-maps
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello sawjew,

The file from the link you provided opened just fine in the latest build of our Viewer (2.5.193).
Please make sure that you have this latest build. You can check tis in Help -> About inside the Viewer.

It it says something different than 2.5.193 - you can always download the latest installation file from here:
www.tracker-software.com/PDFXVwer.zip

Best,
Stefan
sawjew
User

Post by sawjew »

Stefan,

There's not a problem with it opening it just doesn't have the geospatial features. You can't measure distances and read off coordinates, it's just a pdf with an image in it.

Cheers, Steve.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi sawjew,

can you confirm that the PDF file with the geospatial data id this one?
http://acrobatusers.com/auc/content/tut ... 09_map.pdf

When I open it in our Viewer (193) and Adobe Reader 9.4.2 I see the same behaviour. Neither seem to be showing any dynamic changes. I'll ask one of the developers here to take a look as they know much more about the internal workings of both PDF files and the Viewer but I can't from this example even get Adobe to do what the page describes.

:-(
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
sawjew
User

Post by sawjew »

You have to turn on the features in Adobe Reader, in Adobe Reader X you open the tools pane on the right and you have the tools available under Analyze. These tools are available by turning on the Analysis Toolbar in Adobe Reader 9.

Adobe has publicised that these features are an open format so should be able to put into any reader but so far Adobe is the only one that has them as far as I know and Adobe is a slow bloated resource hog and even worse with reader X.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi sawjew,

thanks for that - I see now what you mean.

I have spoken to the Development Team leader who has expressed an interest in supporting this. While it is not going to be something that we can have done in time for the initial release of V3 of the Viewer we will be looking at implementing support for it in a subsequent release.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
someguy5x
User

Post by someguy5x »

I realize this was from 10 years ago - but did a geospatial location or distance command ever get added? You already have an X,Y Show Mouse Cursor Coordinates and a Units property - If the geospatial data was in the PDF, wouldn't you be able to display Latitude and Longitude?
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi someguy5x

it never did make it's way into the product, no. It should, so we have raised a formal Feature Request around this. While for internal use only, if you refer to RT#5641: Feature Request :: Editor :: Support of GEO measurements in correspondence with us then any support staff member can get you a status update.

I hope that helps.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
someguy5x
User

Post by someguy5x »

Another year gone by, any progress?
RT#5641: Feature Request :: Editor :: Support of GEO measurements
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello someguy5x,

It has been a long time indeed! I've asked for an update in the ticket and we will post here as soon as we have any further information on the case!

Kind regards,
Stefan