Faint type in some pages of document

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

PamET
User

Faint type in some pages of document

Post by PamET »

In my document, I have some pages , from other sources, that are very faint. I tried to correct this before adding them to this document, but with no luck.

Is there a way that I can increase the contrast on this pages through X change or pdf tools ?

If so, I could print this pages separately from the rest, then collate them.

Thanks, Pam
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Faint type in some pages of document

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Pam,

much depends on what is in the PDF. Are you able to send us a sample? If posting to the forum be sure to put it in a zip or similar archive or else the forum software will remove your attachment.

:-)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
PamET
User

Post by PamET »

Hi Paul here-I think- are 2 examples of the pages I'm having trouble with. They are scan, which looked OK when done, but have lost something in translation.

Thanks for having a look.

Regards, Pam
Attachments
page 21.7z
(182.69 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
JANUARY 072011 completetribunalfinite FINAL unsecured.7z
(139.06 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Pam,

thanks for the samples. I can see what you mean. While there is little you can do once the scans are converted to PDF there is quite a lot you can do with these while you are acquiring the scan. PDF-XChange Viewer will use your scanner's drivers and interface to import the scan. I don't know the details of the particular scanner and software that you are using but they typically offer options for changing the scan settings. It is here that you want to 'darken' your text.

It looks to me that your scans may have been done in full colour. Most colour scanners support scanning in colour as well as grey scale and even black and white. The latter especially might be useful to you because it uses contrast settings, usually adjustable, to tweak what comes out as black or not at all. You should be able to get darker blacks and whiter whites doing this.

Take a look at the attached samples where I changed such settings in the scanner driver when doing the scans.

Do I sound like a commercial for Laundry Soap?

Anyway, I hope that helps.
Attachments
ScanComparison.zip
(1.29 MiB) Downloaded 116 times
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
PamET
User

Post by PamET »

Hi Paul,

Thanks for writing. I've been trying to download your examples. to no avail. I use Opera, so tried that, no luck, so went to OE, again the same thing.

I do understand what you mean, I Thought my scans were done in grey scale vs color, but I was doing many of them, so I may have not been as diligent as I should have been. Your point that the Black and White is interesting, I'd not even considered it, as when tried before, it was very garish, not understandable...I'll have to try it for future use

I'm not going to redo all, there are just too many, so I guess we'll have to squint (!)

Thanks again, Pam
Chris - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Chris - Tracker Supp »

Hi Pam,

As well as you are scanning documents into to convert to PDF, you should have access to your scanner drivers brightness/contrast settings which could improve the legibility of the scanned items quite a bit.

Best,
Chris
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Chris Attrell
Tracker Sales & Support North America
PamET
User

Post by PamET »

Hello Chris and Paul;

Thanks to you both for your assistance. I really appreciate it.

Paul, I think you've missed your calling....as a laundry soap ad writer...just think of the possibilities ......

However, I'm glad you're working at Tracker for now....

Thanks again guys, Pam
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi PamET,

thanks for the words of encouragement, jingles next...

Seriously thought, I take it you found the controls in the scanner driver/software and were able to get higher contrast in your scans. I'm not sure why you cannot get the sample files I posted. Do you have anything set up to stop .zip files from downloading? Is there an error message that might throw some light on what's happening?

Or if you are happy to let this be just ignore my questions.

:-)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke