Microsoft Store

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

RedSharpEye
User

Microsoft Store

Post by RedSharpEye »

Hi

I wasn't quite sure which forum to post this in, I think this is a close match, apologies if it isn't.

I have a windows 10s device which apparrently means I can only install apps (whats wrong with calling them programs?) from Microsoft Store.

I have used PDF-Xchange editor and viewer for donkeys years, however I cannot seem to find it on MS Store.

I wouldn't mind if it was just the Viewer, is it on there somewhere?

I went to a meeting and had to use Edge as a reader, it was like cutting off my right arm - it doesn't even have the facility to show bookmarks.

If pdf-xchange is not on MS Store then I suppose my other option would be to take the device out of S mode which cannot be undone, but I am worried that performance would suffer as a result.

The device is a Lenovo Flex3i with an intel processor.

Looking forward to your replies.

Red
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Microsoft Store

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello RedSharpEye,

The Microsoft store will only show APPs but you can still download and install stand alone software, including our own:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/downloads
Unless there are e.g. some restrictions on this machine that prevent you from installing normal software?

Kind regards,
Stefan
RedSharpEye
User

Post by RedSharpEye »

Hi Stefan

The machine is running Windows 10 S which only allows installs from Microsoft Store. :(

If you are not on MS Store then I can't download your software which is a shame as I love PDF X-Change.

Kind regards

Red
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Red,

A colleague of mine says that there are ways you can turn off the S Mode:
https://www.hellotech.com/blog/what-is- ... urn-it-off

And yes - we are not yet published in the Windows App store.

Kind regards,
Stefan
RedSharpEye
User

Post by RedSharpEye »

Hi Stefan

Looks scary to turn off S mode, the article you pointed to says...
Why You Should Keep Windows 10 S Mode

According to Microsoft, Windows 10 S Mode “delivers predictable performance and quality.” Windows 10 S Mode offers several benefits, including faster boot times, improved performance, better security, and more.

Consistent performance: With Windows 10 S Mode, you don’t need to use as much memory or processing power. This means that your computer will run like new for longer.
Faster boot times: A computer running Windows 10 S should start up in under 15 seconds. According to tests, Windows 10 S computers booted 80% faster than computers running Windows 10 Pro.
Longer battery life: Since it’s a stripped-down version of Windows, S Mode consumes 15% less power, which will prolong your laptop’s battery life. According to Microsoft, a Surface laptop with S Mode enabled will last up to 14.5 hours on a single charge.
And turning off S mode is a one way street, you can't go back to S if the unfettered Windows makes your machine tooooo slow.

I am only using the little machine occasionaly, so I guess i will have to try an alternative viewer on the MS Store that can also handle bookmarks.

Don't worry, I will still be using pdf-xhange on the "normal" machines.

Kind regards

Red
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello RedSharpEye,

I've never actually seen an Windows 10 S - so do not have first hand experience, but can you still run portable software?
Maybe you won't have an installed copy of the Editor, but would the portable one work on this Windows?

Kind regards,
Stefan
RedSharpEye
User

Post by RedSharpEye »

Hi Stefan

I don't know if I can run portable software, I have a nagging doubt.

Do you do a portable version of PDF X-Change? I would be happy to try it for you and report my findings.

Kind regards

Red
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello RedSharpEye,

We have portable versions of the Editor:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/produc ... fileid=693
Not the whole Pro bundle package though - as e.g. the Printing Drivers have to be installed.

Kind regards,
Stefan
RedSharpEye
User

Post by RedSharpEye »

Nice try Stefan, but it won't allow me to run the exe file and points me back to MS Store. So close yet so far.

Oh well. Have you considered putting the viewer on MS Store? It might bring more trade your way?

Knd regards

Red
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello RedSharpEye,

I am sure it has been considered, but I am not aware of any specifics on adding our products to the Windows Store - so I will ask some of my colleagues for additional info!

Kind regards,
Stefan
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

The Editor is submitted to the Microsoft Store and should be available there shortly.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
RedSharpEye
User

Post by RedSharpEye »

Thanks for the update Ivan

Super excited, the other apps on there are not a patch on Editor.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Microsoft Store

:)
RedSharpEye
User

Post by RedSharpEye »

I noticed today, whilst browsing, that PDF-Xchange Editor is on Microsoft store. Yay! :D :D

Rushed to my Windows S machine (Lenovo ideapad flex 3) and loaded store----but my searches couldn't find PDF-Xchange. :shock: It had all sorts of lessor PDF readers/editors :( :( but not the one I lust after. :twisted:

After a bit of sleuthing it seems my machine doesn't meet the minium criteria on two counts (your minimums in brackets)

It has an Intel Celeron N4020 CPU @ 1.1Ghz (1.5GHz)
Running windows 10 19042 (19043.1348 or higher)

I have sorted out the OS version (now 19044) but the processor speed has me beat.

:idea: Would it be possible to drop the minimum processor speed to 1.1GHz? Pretty please? :wink:

Fingers crossed

Red
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, RedSharpEye

Thanks for letting us know, I have passed this along to the dev team to take a look at. I'm not personally certain how much control we have over this or if it may be some arbitrary automated test done on Microsoft side, but we will see what we can do.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com