Signing with timestamp

This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools SDK of Library DLL functions(only) - Please use the PDF-XChange Drivers API SDK Forum for assistance with all PDF Print Driver related topics.

Moderators: Tracker Support, TrackerSupp-Daniel, Chris - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Sean - Tracker, Andrew - Tracker Support, Tracker - Clarion Support, John - Tracker Supp, Tracker Supp-Stefan, Ivan - Tracker Software, Support Staff, moderators

SteveHit
User

Signing with timestamp

Post by SteveHit » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:46 pm

Hi

I'm interested in using PDF-XChange PRO for signing pdfs, but I also need to timestamp. However, I can't see any reference to adding timestamp data to the signature. Is this possible with PDF-XChange PRO or should I look for a different solution?

Thanks

Steve H

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:37 am

Hi,

We do not provide a timestamp function - but if you wish to timestamp a certificate, you can use the CryptoAPI (or any other acceptable API) to do this, and then, pass this certificate to PDF-XChange/Tools when to sign the PDF document.

HTH
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com

rafaqat
User

Post by rafaqat » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:53 pm

Hi,
Where do I need to start looking to digitally sign PDF document?
Just downloaded the SDK and I'm a bit lost. Ultimately what I need to do is convert a ms word doc to PDF and then digitally sign it.

Cheers,
Raf

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:34 pm

Hi Raf,

To convert and sign a third party proprietry format such as any MS Office format you must use the print drivers API - there are numerous examples on Office format conversion in the API examples folder and this will also allow you to add a digital signature.

C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF-XChange PRO 3 SDK\Examples\APIExamples

The relevant help file is the drv_api.chm located here:

C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF-XChange PRO 3 SDK\SDKHelp

The above all assume you installed in the default folder.

The driver property to use : Security.Digisig.Enable

One final important note - Digital Signatures use requires the purchase of the full PDF-XChange PRO SDK as this feature is not licensed in just the PDF-XChange Drivers API SDK

HTH
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support

rafaqat
User

Post by rafaqat » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:15 am

>>One final important note - Digital Signatures use requires the purchase of the full PDF-XChange PRO SDK as this feature is not licensed in just the PDF-XChange Drivers API SDK

Is this functionality available in the trial software so I can evaluate it?

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:25 am

Absolutley ! :)

All functionality is available in all our products with no timeout/limitation - the only restriction being that a watermark is placed on every page generated with the evaluation versions.

HTH

Best regards
Tracker Support

rafaqat
User

Post by rafaqat » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:57 am

Hi,
I've had a look at the help files and it looks like when printing to the PDF drivers I can set the code to change some registry entries to indicate that pdf signing is required. However, I don't think this is going to work for me.

This is what I am wanting to build.

We have a client that requires the ability to generate reports. They want these reports in word format and also in pdf format (digitaly signed with the logged in users certificate).

They will be using a client app that connects via webservices to a central server. It is on this server that the report generation, pdf conversion and signing will take place for each user request. Once the generation is done, it will be sent back to the user or stored as a BLOB in the db (not sure which yet). I can't use registry entries to set the locastion of the certificate etc as each user has their own certificate file and changing the registry entry for each report request would probably have serious performance problems when multiple people are trying to generate reports. Is there another way to convert and sign the pdf. Can I not just pass the location of the certificate to one of the methods in the API?

Where in the PDF-XChange PRO SDK do I need to look?

Cheers,
Raf

rafaqat
User

Post by rafaqat » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:04 am

Aha!
PXCp_SignDocumentUsingPFXW is the method I require. However it says in the help:

Parameters

pdf
[in] pdf specifies the PDF object previously created by the function PXCp_Init.

I can't find anywhere where I can load an existing PDF document from the hard drive.

rafaqat
User

Post by rafaqat » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:24 am

hmm.
Why does the method look totally different when I reference the COM objects in c#?

In c# I have to write:

editClass.sign_pdf_file(ref infile, ref outfile, ref pagewidth, ref pageheight, ref px1, ref py1, ref px2, ref py2, ref reason, ref location,
ref cert, ref image)

There isn't any documentation to say where I specify the location of the certificate. I need to specify a different certificate everytime I call the method. I won't be able to obtain the certificates serial number etc at runtime. Would be far easier to specify a location surely? or unique name?

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:51 am

Hi,

the methods are different because they are designed for 2 different 'models': one is a set of C (not C++) functions, and the other, a set of C# classes

With regards the location - this is the fully qualified path to a .PFX file which contains the certificate - including the file name.

HTH

Best regards
Tracker Support

rafaqat
User

Post by rafaqat » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:59 am

Ok, reading around alittle more, the help says I need to have the certificate in the users local certificate store. This is going to make my server based solution a little more complicated but I can deal with that I guess.

My new query is this.
Calling the method I detailed above I get the following error

"Signature to short"

What does this mean?

cheers for the prompt response. I have included the code I am using below.

//Variable to store the original PDF filename
string infile = "c:\\moo.pdf";
//Variable to store the filename of the new file. Can be the same as infile to overwrite infile
string outfile = "c:\\moo1.pdf";
//Variable to store the path to a JPG Image to be included in the signature
string image = "C:\\image.jpg";
//Holds the UniqueContainerName or SerialNumber of the Certificate
//to be used. The UniquieContainerName of a Certificate can be found
//with the tool ChooseCertificate.exe. The SerialNumber could be found
//with certmgr.msc
string cert = "4b a5 ae 59 de dd 1c c7 80 7c 89 22 91 f0 e2 43";

string reason; //signature reason
string location; //signer location

int pageheight; //define pageheight - 0 for auto detect
int pagewidth; //define pagewidth - 0 or auto detect

int px1; //X of upper left corner of signature box in percent
int py1; //Y of upper left corner of signature box in percent
int px2; //X of lower right corner of signature box in percent
int py2; //Y of lower right corner of signature box in percent

reason = "I approve this document";
location = "C:\\google.cer";
pageheight = 842; //for A4 format
pagewidth = 595; //for A4 format

px1 = 85;
py1 = 10;
px2 = 95;
py2 = 05;

aloahapdf.editClass editClass = new aloahapdf.editClass();
if (editClass.sign_pdf_file(ref infile, ref outfile, ref pagewidth, ref pageheight, ref px1, ref py1, ref px2, ref py2, ref reason, ref location,
ref cert, ref image) == true)
{
MessageBox.Show("Success", "Successful Sign");
}
else
{

MessageBox.Show("Failure: " + editClass.sign_pdf_file_returnstring, "Fail");
}

changing the certificate I am pointing to to be a pfx file like so

"C:\\digital_sig.pfx";

gives me the same error message

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:28 pm

Hi,

sorry - but confused - please advise where "sign_pdf_file" is defined ?

It might allow us to help you better if you put together a small sample app with all the required supporting files and some simple instructions on installing/use and we can take a look.

Please zip and provide both compiled and source project files.

Thanks

Best regards
Tracker Support

rafaqat
User

Post by rafaqat » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:12 pm

Ok,
I've attached the source. I'm using Visual Studio 2005.
I've also added the image.jpg, moo.pdf and google.cer files on the root as well as the exe for the sample app.

The jpg, pdf and certificate should be on the root of the c drive as I've hardcoded the paths to there for now (sorry). Feel free to use your own certificates if you don't want to use the google one.

Cheers,
Raf
Attachments
SamplePDFAppXchangePro.zip
(317.65 KiB) Downloaded 235 times

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:15 pm

Hi,

You are attempting to use a .cer file as your certificate - PDF-XChange/Tools supports the use of a .pfx certificate file only.

HTH

Best regards
Tracker Support

rafaqat
User

Post by rafaqat » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:50 am

Hi I've tried again by using a .pfx file.
the editClass.sign_pdf_file method returns false but examining the errorString and sign_pdf_file_returnstring on the editClass reveals both to be empty giving no clue as to why it failed to sign the pdf. I've attached the pfx file I am using. Password is CravenClub.

All help appreciated.

Cheers,
Raf
Attachments
DevCert.zip
(1.66 KiB) Downloaded 248 times

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:46 pm

Our developer responsible for this part of our tools has taken a look at your project and says there appears to be no realization of the editClass.sign_pdf_file function which makes it difficult to fully test and diagnose the issue.

Please see the help files as these contain code snippets to assist - for example, see the help file topic : PXC_SignDocumentUsingPFXW

In the help file : PDFLib30Help.chm

The buttons across the top of the help file have other properties and the 4th button provides useful code snippets, e.g:

++++++++++++++

// Example shows how to sign the document before writing
// using certificate stored in a ile

void SignDocument(_PXCDocument* pDoc, _PXCPage* pPage, LPCWSTR FileName_PFX, LPCWSTR Password_PFX, LPCWSTR FileName_Image)
{
HRESULT hr = DS_OK;

// Setup rectangle

PXC_RectF sr;
sr.left = I2L(1);
sr.right = I2L(4);
sr.top = I2L(9);
sr.bottom = I2L(8);

// Sign the document

hr = PXC_SignDocumentUsingPFXW(pDoc, FileName_PFX, Password_PFX, pPage, &sr,
L"Test Reason", L"Test Location", L"Test Contact Info", FileName_Image,
Sign_GR_Name | Sign_TX_Name | Sign_TX_Date | Sign_TX_Location | Sign_TX_Reason | Sign_TX_DName);

if (IS_DS_FAILED(hr))
{
// Handle error
}

// done.
}

prev:

++++++++++++++

HTH

Best regards
Tracker Support

rafaqat
User

Post by rafaqat » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:16 pm

oh god, I feel so incredibly stupid.
I've been evaluating various PDF conversion API's and I managed to reference the wrong one. I've been referencing something from Aloaha software. No wonder the bloody signatures don't match up. I'll go kill myself in a moment as I can't beleive I've been so stupid. :-)

I've now referenced the right dll's using dllimport like the examples that ship with the sdk. However I keep getting the following error.

"Unable to load DLL 'xcpro35': The specified module could not be found."

I have made sure that the directory that xcpro35.dll is in (C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF-XChange PRO 3 SDK\Examples\Lib) is on my path variable. The exampes give the same error message.

Once, again, mortally embarrased I was looking at the worng dll. On the right path now. Boy do I feel stupid.

Any hints on what I need to do to get it to work?

rafaqat
User

Post by rafaqat » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:39 pm

I've also got my path variable to point at C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF-XChange PRO 3 SDK\Examples\Bin so that both xcpro35.dll and xcpro.lib are on the path.

Still get the dll not found error unless I hardcode the path into the XCPro35_Declares.cs file like so

[DllImport("C:\\Program Files\\Tracker Software\\PDF-XChange PRO 3 SDK\\Examples\\Bin\\xcpro35")]
public static extern int PXCp_Init(out int pObject, string Key, string DevCode);

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:16 pm

Hi,
I have made sure that the directory that xcpro35.dll is in (C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF-XChange PRO 3 SDK\Examples\Lib) is on my path variable. The exampes give the same error message.
Shouldn't your system variable be referencing :

C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF-XChange PRO 3 SDK\Examples\Bin

?

Best regards
Tracker Support

rafaqat
User

Post by rafaqat » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:06 pm

Yup. I did that and it still didn't work. However I rebooted my machine and it picks it up fine now. Odd, as I'm sure once Environment Variables are changed on XP it doesn't need rebooting. It's solved the problem anyway. So that's cool. One thing though, so far I have used functions that have already been exported from the xcpro35.dll for use in the example code.

I need to export PXCp_SignDocumentUsingPFXW.
I have done it like this.

// Sign the document
[DllImport("xcpro35")]
public static extern int PXCp_SignDocumentUsingPFXW(int pdfHandle, [MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.LPWStr)] string pwFileName,
[MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.LPWStr)] string lpwszPFXPassword,
int pageIndex,
PXC_RectF rect,
[MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.LPWStr)] string lpwszReason,
[MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.LPWStr)] string lpwszLocation,
[MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.LPWStr)] string lpwszContactInfo,
[MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.LPWStr)] string lpwszImageFile,
int dwFlags
);

and then used it like this.

int signResult = XCPro35_Defs.PXCp_SignDocumentUsingPFXW(appHandle,
"C:\\DevCert.pfx", "CravenClub", 1, rect4Image,
"blah", "blah", "ra@moo.co.uk", image, 0);

This leads the app to consume 100% CPU resources forever.
What am I doing wrong?

I've attached source code and exe with the pfx file I am using and the pdf I am trying to sign. Deffinately using the right libraries this time. :-)

Really really appreciate the help.

regards,
Raf
Attachments
SamplePDFAppXchangePro.zip
(197.34 KiB) Downloaded 238 times

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:29 pm

Hi,

your sample works - but there are some mistakes:

1. ithe declaraion for PXCp_SignDocumentUsingPFXW parameter rect should be declared as: ref PXC_RectF rect (ref was missed)
2. and, for sure now in your call to this function, you need to add a ref for the corresponding parameter
3. The coordinates should be specified in points (1 point = 1/72 inch)
4. You need to 'write' the document after signing.
---

your function modified as:

private void btnSignPDF_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
//Variable to store the original PDF filename
string infile = "c:\\moo.pdf";
string outfile = "c:\\moo_out.pdf";
//Variable to store the path to a JPG Image to be included in the signature
string image = "C:\\image.jpg";

int handle = -1;
XCPro35_Defs.PXCp_Init(out handle, null, null);
int iresult = XCPro35_Defs.PXCp_ReadDocumentW(handle, infile, 0);
XCPro35_Defs.PXC_RectF rect4Image = new XCPro35_Defs.PXC_RectF();
rect4Image.left = 1 * 72;
rect4Image.right = 4 * 72;
rect4Image.top = 2 * 72;
rect4Image.bottom = 1 * 72;
int signResult = XCPro35_Defs.PXCp_SignDocumentUsingPFXW(handle,
"C:\\DevCert.pfx", "CravenClub", 0, ref rect4Image,
"blah", "blah", "ra@moo.co.uk", image, 0);
int writeResult = XCPro35_Defs.PXCp_WriteDocumentW(handle, outfile, XCPro35_Defs.PXCp_CreationDisposition.PXCp_CreationDisposition_Overwrite,
0);
}

HTH

Best regards
Tracker Support

rafaqat
User

Post by rafaqat » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:52 pm

Hi,
cheers for that. Works a treat. Thanks for being patient.

Regards,
Raf

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:30 pm

Pleasure - pleased all is now well :)

Best regards
Tracker Support

rafaqat
User

Post by rafaqat » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:37 pm

Hi,
3 more questions I'm afraid. :-)

1 . I have encountered a PDF file I cannot sign. The signing function returns a negative number which I pass into PXCp_Err_FormatErrorCode so that I can get a string back with the error text in it.

However, the string comes back empty and the PXCp_Err_FormatErrorCode call returns the value 14 indicating that is the length of the Error desc. If I change the code so that I specify the string length to be 14 chars or 15 chars the string still comes back empty.

This is what I'm doing to call the function.

string errorDesc = "";
int errCode = PDFUtils.PXCp_Err_FormatErrorCode(signResult, errorDesc, int.MaxValue);

I've attached the pdf that is not wanting to be signed. The signResult I am trying to convert into an error description is -2113394911

2. My other problem is that once I have succesfully signed a PDF file. I cannot delete the bin directory of my web app when I want to redeply it.

I think this is due to the fact that somewhere along the line I still have a reference the dlls. Is there a way to release them in code? Currently I have to reset iis to release the lock.

3. Is there anyway to check if a pdf I have loaded up is already digitally signed?
I thought maybe PXCp_IsEncrypted would do the trick but it isn't.

Cheers,
Raf
Attachments
postalVerification.zip
(59.24 KiB) Downloaded 235 times

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:53 am

Hi,

Not sure this is going to be much help :(

1: We can find no issue with this file and can sign without problems here

2: We cannot account for this and suspect it is a IIs problem rather than PDF-XChange/Tools related.

3: We currently do not offer a high level API means to check for this - but will look at adding in the future. It is technically feasible for you to do this using our low level API - but in practical terms, you would need to know the PDF format inside out to achieve it and we provide NO support for the low level API - it really is intended only for those that already have a comprehensive understanding of the PDF format.

We will provide a Digi Sig existence check in a future release - but this is not going to be possible for some time - a rewrite of Version 4 is already in progress and this is likely to only be possible in V5 when a total rewrite of our libraries is scheduled.

Best regards
Tracker Support

winhouse
User

Signing PDF with no PFX certificate

Post by winhouse » Wed May 09, 2007 11:22 pm

I am working in the same solution. I have some questions:

1. How i can sing the pdf, if i haven't a PFX files. ? My certificate is stored in a token and is visble at the users local certificate store.
2. PXCp_SignDocumentW funstions, may be the solution, but how i can get the parameter PCCERT_CONTEXT
3. Have you some example in VB, that signs pdf under this situation.?

Thanks,

Orlando R.

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Thu May 10, 2007 8:10 am

Hi,

You will need to use the CryptoAPI to get PCCERT_CONTEXT.

e.g.: The CertFindCertificateInStore function. however CryptoAPI isn't so easy to use, and to get PCCERT_CONTEXT you will need to call some additional functions.

Some helpful information regarding the use of CryptoAPI in VB can easily be found by using google. i.e:

http://www.freevbcode.com/ShowCode.asp?ID=804
or :
http://www.codetoad.com/vb_crypto_api.asp

HTH

Best regards
Tracker Support

aisoft
User

Re:

Post by aisoft » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:13 pm

John - Tracker Supp wrote:One final important note - Digital Signatures use requires the purchase of the full PDF-XChange PRO SDK as
this feature is not licensed in just the PDF-XChange Drivers API SDK
Is this true for actual version of PDFXChange Drivers too ?

Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Signing with timestamp

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:23 pm

aisoft,
The topic is over 2 years old :)
and to answer your question:
Anything you try to do with the printing drivers will have the "DEMO" stamps on them if you do not have a valid serial number. Only the Viewer has features that can be used in free mode and will not alter the document. (And the digital Signing that was added recently to the viewer is not one of them)

aisoft
User

Post by aisoft » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:54 pm

Thank you for your reply. Well, is digital signing possible with the "Drivers" only or do I need PDF-XChange PRO ?

Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:28 pm

Yes digital signing is possible with the Standard and PRO PDF XChange printing drivers.

The settings are in the Security tab in the driver preferences.

Cheers,
Stefan