Printing Watermarked PDF

This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools SDK of Library DLL functions(only) - Please use the PDF-XChange Drivers API SDK Forum for assistance with all PDF Print Driver related topics.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Sean - Tracker, Chris - Tracker Supp, Tracker Supp-Stefan, Ivan - Tracker Software, Andrew - Tracker Support, Tracker - Clarion Support, John - Tracker Supp, Support Staff, moderators

glima
User

Printing Watermarked PDF

Post by glima » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:41 pm

I am having a problem printing PDF documents that my application has watermarked.

I am using the latest libraries 3.6.0.104

I have E-Mailed samples of an original and a watermarked files.

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:10 pm

Thanks for the file's George - but can you please explain a little more of the problem - how these files are constructed and the process and what you believe is the problem?

Thank you.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com

glima
User

Post by glima » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:04 pm

I take an existing PDF document and place a text watermark in one of the corners of every page. I then save the watermarked document to PDF file.

When I try to print these watermarked files to a printer I receive an error.

The files I sent the original file is “A Test PDF 2.PDF” and the watermarked file that will not print is” A Test PDF 2.BATES.PDF”

BTW: I can print the file with an older version of Acrobat Viewer.

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:54 am

Hi George,

I opened the file ” A Test PDF 2.BATES.PDF” using Acrobat 7.07 and successfully printed (2 differing models) including the required text in the bottom left corner no problem and no error.

Have you tried several printers and if so please advise what models and what driver versions.

Also could you perhaps ask a colleague to try from a different machine/printer combo ?

Finally - you could you specify exactley the text of the error or include a screenshot ?

thanks.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support

glima
User

Post by glima » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:15 pm

I have sent an e-mail with a screen shot.

I am trying to print this with Acrobat Viewer 7.05 and not Acrobat.

There are two windows. One has a progress bar and text in the lower left corner reads "Flattening: 42%"

A message box with the title "Adobe Reader" has an informational icon and text "The document could not be printed"

The only reason we have found this is that several of our clients have reported this. I have had my QA resource try this also.

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:43 am

Hi George,

Please provide the requested information regarding the Printers specifically being printed to - or are you saying this always occurs on any system you try and to any printer ?

Also have you tried other Versions of Acrobat Reader - I had no issue in Acrobat Reader 7.07 - ?

As we are unable to reproduce this.

Thanks

Best regards
Tracker Support

glima
User

Post by glima » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:41 pm

We have tried this on:
Printers: Microsoft Document Imaging, Lexmark 54, Dell A09 and 720 and several different HP Deskjets. Our clients have tried this on numerous laser printers. The printers have been both local and network.

Adobe Viewers
5.x - does not work
6.x - does work
7.x - does not work, even the latest (7.0.8) downloaded yesterday.

In all cases the systems did not have Adobe Acrobat or additional plug-ins installed just the plain jane viewer.

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:31 pm

Hi George,

When printing - please change the Advanced setting on the 'Print' window option to 'Print as Image' and I believe this will work around the problem

Also we are 99% sure this is a bug in Acrobat Reader - but its being analysed by the project team here and will come back when more info is available from them.

thanks

Best regards
Tracker Support

glima
User

Post by glima » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:41 pm

I am still puzzled as to why it prints before the file is stamped and not after.

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:15 pm

Hi George,

have you joined our Viewer Beta program - perhaps this will perform for you more satisfactorily ?

At least if it does not - the resolution is in our hands and not Adobe's.

Best regards
Tracker Support

glima
User

Post by glima » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:20 pm

This has become a real problem, we are losing sales.

1. The documents print before they are stamped.
2. It prints if you set the "Print as Image".
3. It prints fine in older version of Acrobat.
4. We had a client use Adobe Acrobat to optimize the files for 5.0-7.0 and then they would print for him.

We cannot ask the customer to set the "Print as Image" flag,or an older version, as they may not be the final users of the documents.

The 3.40.0080 version of XCPRO35.DLL works for the printing but has other issues.

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:41 am

George,

This IS a problem with Adobe Acrobat Reader - the reason you are not getting this problem in Acrobat PRO is because Adobe is altering the file to work around their BUG rather than fixing the problem in Acrobat Reader.

Can I ask - have you reported this to Adobe - as well as us ? We have - but it never hurts to add a voice.

If you alter your watermarks so they are not using transparency they will print ok.

As you have seen yourself - older versions of Acrobat Reader function correctly.

To work around this problem we would have to compromise several other key features in PDF-XChange, particularly the excellent file compression we achieve.

We are looking at other ways to resolve this - but it is going to be at least 2 weeks or so before we can give it our full attention (and even then we cannot guarantee a resolution that is satisfactory for all concerned) as we are currently preparing the release of our own Viewer and this I regret has to take priority as its been over 2 years in development and is crucial to our future plans for all our future products - and those of many of our developer clients.

Best regards
Tracker Support