Word TOC Links

This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools SDK of Library DLL functions(only) - Please use the PDF-XChange Drivers API SDK Forum for assistance with all PDF Print Driver related topics.

Moderators: Tracker Support, TrackerSupp-Daniel, Chris - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Sean - Tracker, Andrew - Tracker Support, Tracker - Clarion Support, John - Tracker Supp, Tracker Supp-Stefan, Ivan - Tracker Software, Support Staff, moderators

pglewis
User

Word TOC Links

Post by pglewis » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:32 pm

We are currently using the 2.5 printer driver in our product (though we have purchased the 3.5 upgrade). A recent need for our end-users is to include clickable links from the TOC to the relevant material within the document.

This is obviously not something that can be done though the print drivers so I am evaluating what options are availble to provide this functionality and a rough idea of how much work and learning curve will be involved to do so. I understand that the Office toolbar add-in has this functionality, but I am reluctant to use this approach if there are other options. My concerns are mainly about deployment of the tool-bar, and all the sundry things that can go wrong with end-users and add-ins.

We are using VB6 as the development platform and I currently have no "nuts and bolts" background with PDF internals. Sorry if this has been covered many times. I've done a search, and skimmed the documentation and still don't have a very good grasp on the options available for including TOC links.

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:09 am

Hi,

As you have seen from our End User release - we have provided an Office Addin to provide embedded links - both internal to the file (the TOC for example) and external ('Click Here') style links to URL's etc.

Whilst it is possible to go back to a PDF after it is created and add links to text as embedded - there is no practical way to identify where these links are required and to what target they should point.

Therefore something along the lines of our Office Addin is the only practical solution.

As to how simple this is to achieve - well - it took as the best part of a year to provide this in a reliable and extended manner as we have - certainly you could achieve something simpler in less time - but the difficulty of the task should not be under estimated - nor should the reliability of MS's documentation of the functionality be over stated - there are some important errors in their advice on this subject which will take some trial and error.

You should start by reviewing the MS office and MSDN developer websites on working with MS office and you will find plenty of material.

Other than that I am afraid we cannot be more specific - you will appreciate there are important competitive considerations when divulging how we have created the Addin that we would not want to share.

I hope this helps you to arrive at the solution in some small way.

Sorry we could not be more expansive in this instance.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com

pglewis
User

Post by pglewis » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:28 pm

Oh, my apologies if I was unclear in my intent. We have purchased the full PDF-XChange Pro 3 and my questions were exclusively about possible solutions for converting Word files to PDF through the use of these tools. I certainly would not ask Tracker for help with programming tasks far outside the scope of Tracker products.

My main curiousity was if there was a reasonable solution to this puzzle via the SDK tools or if the toolbar add-in was the only route available.

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:18 pm

Hi,

No need to apologise and for sure you should ask - its just this is one of those instances where we cannot help.

Ordinarily we will do anything we can to assist.

I really do think developing your own ADDIN is going to be the only practical and complete solution.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com