PDF created with SDK results in error when printed

This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools SDK of Library DLL functions(only) - Please use the PDF-XChange Drivers API SDK Forum for assistance with all PDF Print Driver related topics.

Moderators: Tracker Support, TrackerSupp-Daniel, Chris - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Sean - Tracker, Andrew - Tracker Support, Tracker - Clarion Support, John - Tracker Supp, Tracker Supp-Stefan, Ivan - Tracker Software, Support Staff, moderators

jtbworld
User

PDF created with SDK results in error when printed

Post by jtbworld » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:03 pm

Adobe Acrobat dialog box comes up and the PDF is not printed: "An error occured while downloading a font. This document might not print correctly." This happens on some PC's. Might be a combination of version of Adobe Acrobat or Reader, fonts installed, Printer and printer driver. But it should work for all cases. It's because the "stamp" I've added with the SDK this error comes.

If I check in Reader I can see that all fonts are embedded.

I use XCPro35_Defs.PXCp_AddWatermark to add some text to the PDF.

Can you see if there is something wrong with this PDF?
Attachments
Stamped.zip
PDF sample
(372.98 KiB) Downloaded 162 times

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:05 pm

Hi Jimmy,

seems you are using Build 95 and this issue was reported and subsequently resolved in Build 98 - please update your build and all should be well.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com

jtbworld
User

Post by jtbworld » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:43 pm

I downloaded and installed the latest version.
I grabbed the latest dll's dated around 2006-03-13
I copied them to the server where the installation is and replaced the existing ones. (is that enough?)
I created a new PDF and still got the same problem.
It seems to be related to Adobe Reader 5 and when printing to a PostScript printer.

I found this link: http://www.micropress-inc.com/acr5bugs.htm
It mentions "Embed fonts as CFF's." Is that a solution and if so how can I do it?

Any ideas?

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:28 pm

Hi,

I believe that this may be related to the way Adobe embeds the Font ID/Name's within the file - could you please upload the first original PDF prior to your modifying in anyway ?

thanks
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support

jtbworld
User

Post by jtbworld » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:35 pm

Here is the drawing before stamped (and after with the latest SDK)
Attachments
A1.zip
One before and another after.
(667.6 KiB) Downloaded 156 times

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:08 pm

Thanks - could you please try and print this file using a later version of Adobe Reader - if still this is a problem - please advise the Postscript Printer and driver version you are outputting to.

Best regards
Tracker Support

jtbworld
User

Post by jtbworld » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:33 pm

I tried with Reader 7.0 and the same PS printer and had no problem to print it.
The driver is:
Canon PS 3 Emulation Printer Driver 0.3.0.0
CNS30M_D990D.DLL

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:22 pm

Hi,

Looks like we are going to have to 'chalk' this one up to a bug in Adobe Reader 5 - best suggestion is that your users ensure they have Adobe Reader 7 installed.

Best regards
Tracker Support

jtbworld
User

Post by jtbworld » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:45 pm

I tried another font just in case it had to do with using ISOCPEUR but that didn't help. I also tried on a HP printer with a PS driver and that did actually work so it might be a combination of Adobe and Canon that this problem relates to.

Thanks for looking at this anyway. I'll see if I can get someone at Canon to look at it since it works in newer versions of Reader. I can get the users inhous to use Reader 7 but it's harder with customers that are going to get these documents. And on the other hand I have some major problems with the printing in Reader 7 that works at least a bit better in 5 so I might take a look at your viewer product when it's ready for a test drive.

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:08 pm

Thanks Jimmy,

we hope to have a release very very shortly of our Viewer.

Best regards
Tracker Support