Clarion app issues

This Forum is for the use of Clarion For Windows - Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers SDK (only) - Please use the PDF-Tools SDK Forum for Library DLL assistance.

Moderators: Tracker Support, TrackerSupp-Daniel, Chris - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Sean - Tracker, Tracker - Clarion Support, John - Tracker Supp, Tracker Supp-Stefan, Ivan - Tracker Software, Support Staff, moderators

dmjung
User

Clarion app issues

Post by dmjung » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:23 pm

Overview: app imports word documents into a postgresql database. (This app has been in use for a fairly long time, but I've been the only person running it...need to push it out to the end-users.)

Steps: Word document located in target folder, doc printed to a PDF using OfficeInside and then the PDF is added to a postgresql database. (The pdf record is matched up with a patient name/number based on the Word document name, if this automatic matching fails, the user can then manually match things up...pdf is unloaded from postgresql for viewing during that process.)

Application Extensions:
PDF-XChange Driver Global Extension v3.6
PDF-Tools Viewer Global Extension v3.6

1. Problem: Viewing the PDF within the program always has the "Demo Version" overlayed on the pdf region. Everything looks OK in the tsp_lic file and info has been (re)pasted from emails multiple times. (To avoid this problem in other apps, I've just unloaded the pdf to a file and let whatever system viewer the user has display things.)

2. Upgrading to v4.x. I've tinkered several times with moving this app to v4.0, but it turns into a disaster fairly quickly. I guess we can set that aside until we figure out the viewer issue unless you think moving to a later version might resolve the viewer problem.

--David

Tracker - Clarion Support
Site Admin

Re: Clarion app issues

Post by Tracker - Clarion Support » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:00 pm

Hi David!

What version of Windows are you running this under? The 3.x version is only warranted to run under pre-Vista Windows; Vista and 7 need the 4.x drivers, so you should plan on moving to 4.0 fairly quickly.

Viewing a PDF in an app is a Viewer function, not a Driver function. Driver only generates PDF's from application printing functions. The Viewer does NOT use the same license codes as the Driver, so you must set the TSP_LICS.INC file up to use the Viewer codes. Also, are you using the Simple DLL Viewer or the ActiveX Viewer?
Craig Ransom
Tracker Software - Clarion Support
http://www.tracker-software.com

dmjung
User

Post by dmjung » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:30 pm

Craig,

XP-Pro across the board and I don't need to support Vista or Win7 at this point.

The "viewer" procedure has this extension: "PDFXCV2 PDF-Tools Viewer Procedure Extension v3.6".

I think this procedure was initially cribbed from one of the example programs as it's window has "PDF-Tools Viewer 1.0" as the title. (Probably out of an early version of pdfvab20.app) It basically lets you look at a PDF, assign a patient number and then save a record.

I just now recompiled the Pdfvab20.app example program and it displays PDF's without demo text so that should indicate my license info is set properly, correct?

Another issue I forgot to mention...the documents are imported from a folder, perhaps several hundred at one sitting one right after another. Sometimes an imported pdf will have the round demo emblems in the upper left/right corners of the page. I'm guessing about 1% of the time. I happen to be running the import via terminal server...the program, files and postgre db are all on this server. Curiously, during the import, it looks like the TS session is using my local PDF-XChange printer even if I set the program to use the PDF-XChange printer installed on the server. Once I turn this over to the users, it won't be run in a TS session, but might be a factor in some of my woes.<G>

--David

Site Admin

Post by Tracker - Clarion Support » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:28 pm

Hi David!

Based on what you've told me I can see that you are using the Simple DLL Viewer and the Driver, both 3.6.

However Pdfvab20.app is NOT the same version of the Viewer as what you are using! This is version 2.0 and supersedes version 3.6! Also there was a Simple DLL Version 3.7 that also supersedes what you have. The codes for the Viewer change with the major version. If you have codes for version 2.0, then they won't work for 3.6/3.7, and vice versa.

I think you have a "battling versions" issue here.
Craig Ransom

dmjung
User

Post by dmjung » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:25 pm

Pdfvab20.app just happened to be the first example app I tried to see if my licensing was set correctly...probably should have picked pdfvab36.app and we might cut to the chase here quicker.

If I run Pdfvab37.app or pdfvab36.app, I get the demo text when viewing any pdf. My license file has equates for:

!PDF Viewer v3.x License Key and Code
PDFVWR3_LicenseKey EQUATE('PVC36-blahblahblahblah')
PDFVWR3_DevCode EQUATE('mydevcode')
PXCVAX36_LicenseKey EQUATE('PVC36-blahblahblahblah')
PXCVAX36_DevCode EQUATE('mydevcode')

along with a bunch of others. Is there some way to get my TSP_LICS.INC examined by someone who knows what the codes are supposed to be?

An interesting thing...the procedure's extension says the viewer is v3.6, but the generated code is this:
PDFXCV2 PXCViewBaseClass ! Added by PDF-Xchange Viewer Templates v3.7

--David

dmjung
User

Post by dmjung » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:31 pm

Craig,

I was reviewing my prior posts and I think I first noticed this problem with a forum message dated 11/20/08 entitled "Demo text unexpectedly appearing in pdf viewer now".

...OK, reviewed some emails from that time. The problem then was some updates requiring new serial numbers...that was taken care of in January 2009, but the demo text problem has persisted. (I think I was updating and acquiring new licenses for a new employee at the time and wasn't thinking about the demo text issue.)

--David

Site Admin

Post by Tracker - Clarion Support » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:49 pm

Hi David!

Email me your tsp_lics.inc file and I'll have a look.
Craig Ransom

dmjung
User

Post by dmjung » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:34 pm

Emailed...

--David

Site Admin

Post by Tracker - Clarion Support » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:08 pm

Hi David!

Got it, and sent you an email.

While doing that I had a thought as to why you are getting the flakey behavior.

The 3.x version of the Driver used Registry Settings to pass information to the Driver at print time. If you are running remotely, that won't work! The Driver may look at the Registry on the remote PC, and not find the settings made on the local PC!

4.0 attempts to get around this by creating a "virtual printer" and configuring it with your settings, then passing the name of the virtual printer to the program doing the actual printing. But this will also fail in a remote environment.

I'm not sure I have a good solution to this problem at this time. I'll try to come up with something over the weekend.
Craig Ransom

dmjung
User

Post by dmjung » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:20 pm

Just to clarify what's happening...

On my local machine, I get the demo text when viewing a PDF within a Clarion app--including the example apps, except the one mentioned previously. I haven't run an actual import where the pdf's are created locally in a long time, so don' t know if the occasional demo emblem would get added to a pdf here.

On the remote machine, I also always get the demo text when viewing a PDF within my app. Occasionally a pdf created by the Doc2Pdf scheme will have the demo emblems added to the pdf. While an import is running remotely, I usually see the printer icon flash on my local machine's task bar notification area as each pdf is created (which I don't think should be happening.)

The remote server has a PDF-XChange 3.0 "printer" installed on it. My local machine has a 4.0 "printer".

--David

dmjung
User

Post by dmjung » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:00 pm

While I'm thinking about it...after having just done it.

I'm actually running the import doc2pdf scheme on two different terminal servers at different sites. The one site mentioned above has the occasional demo emblems embedded in the pdf.

EDITED. I just saw for the first time the demo emblems in a generated pdf at the second site. From memory, this might be the first time I've seen them at this site, the other site seems to be regular. The embedded emblem issue at the first site I first noticed a couple of months ago.

--David

Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:24 pm

hi again dmjung

Craig should be getting back to you soon,

regards

Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America

Site Admin

Post by Tracker - Clarion Support » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:30 am

Hi David!

I don't have a good solution for this yet.

I still think the problem is parameters not being passed properly to the remote printers. If the parameters are not passed you'll get demo watermarks and other problems such as not printing to the proper file name, among many others.
Craig Ransom

dmjung
User

Post by dmjung » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:16 am

Craig,

AFAIK, the only "printing" problem I've run into is the demo emblems embedded in the pdf and hadn't really noticed that until this year.

If I can get the demo text in the viewer issue ironed out, I can give the program to a local user and by-pass running in an RDP session (although what's going on in a Terminal Server or Citrix session probably needs to be thought through.)

Now, I have 3.0 printer is installed on the Terminal Servers...maybe I should install the 4.0 pdf printer on the servers? But I'm guessing the program should be happy using either one?

--David

Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:08 pm

Hi dmjung,

Craig tells me you are corresponding via email over this. Perhaps when you work out a solution it could be posted here for the benefit of those who might read this thread?

regards

Best regards

Paul O'Rorke

dmjung
User

Post by dmjung » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:18 pm

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote:Craig tells me you are corresponding via email over this. Perhaps when you work out a solution it could be posted here for the benefit of those who might read this thread?
No problem...so far the only thing going on via email was getting the license file straightened out...I had put the v4 number in the v3 equate at one point to see if it made a difference and then forgot to switch it back. Correcting that didn't fix my viewer demo text problem though.

--David

Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:15 pm

Thanks David,

let's know here how it works out.

regards

Best regards

Paul O'Rorke

dmjung
User

Post by dmjung » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:38 pm

Here's a recap so far as I understand it...

To clarify, I have two problems...
a) simple dll viewer always has the slanted red text (my code and demo apps.)
b) pdf creation from a Word document has the demo emblems added to random pdf's.

For problem a), viewer demo text...Craig has reviewed my license file for obvious problems, but will presumably have to send it over to make sure I actually have the proper codes. I've re-checked it against the viewer serial number that was emailed and it looks correct to me.

For problem b), the pdf creation problem...I'm running the program in an RDP session under Terminal Server. Remote printing is not supported, but in this case I'm actually printing to a "printer" installed on the server so "in theory" I wouldn't think it should be any different than printing on-site. In reality, it worked for about a year without any problems and then this year I started getting the demo emblems added to about 5% of the created pdf's.

If I can get problem a) resolved, then I can switch to running the program on-site and presumably avoid whatever is going on with problem b). Although it would be nice if the Terminal Server non-remote printing worked 100%. :)

--David

Site Admin

Post by Tracker - Clarion Support » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:14 pm

Hi David!

For clarification:

1. We are working though emails to resolve the apparent licensing issues.

2. As mentioned, the PDF-XChange Driver is not designed to work "remotely." The major issue is getting the Driver settings passed to the remote PC.
Craig Ransom

dmjung
User

Post by dmjung » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:37 pm

Tracker - Clarion Support wrote:2. As mentioned, the PDF-XChange Driver is not designed to work "remotely." The major issue is getting the Driver settings passed to the remote PC.
Right, except we're not printing remotely. Within the RDP session there can be a multitude of printers available to the session. The printers might be remote to the server (what you're describing), but you can also use printers directly attached/available to the server (which is what I'm doing.)

In this case the PDF-XChange printer is installed on the server and is the target for the program running on the server. Presumably this is why it has always worked in the past and works for the most part now. If I removed the server's PDF printer, then I would expect to always get the demo emblems embedded in the pdf's.

In my RDP sessions I do not see "my" PDF-XChange printer as available so there isn't or shouldn't be any communication back to me other than screen drawing and mouse/keyboard traffic...no driver settings need to come back to me.

Everything is happening at the server in this scenario.

--David

Site Admin

Post by Tracker - Clarion Support » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:12 pm

The forum conversation has moved to emails since it involves some licensing information that isn't for "public consumption."
Craig Ransom

dmjung
User

Post by dmjung » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:44 pm

I saw this happen the other day and thought I'd give a minor update...

To recap: Clarion program is reading a Word document (OfficeInside), converting it to a PDF and then storing in a Postgresql database. Typically several hundred documents are processed during a run. On an irregular basis I get the demo emblems in a random pdf. The only "twist" is the conversion/import program is launched while in an RDP session on a Win2003 server. The pdf "printer", data, sql, -everything- is local to the server.

The demo emblems are still occurring, but its very sporadic. I had not noticed any in a long while and then saw some in the last couple of months. If I had to assign a percentage to it's occurance lately, probably less than 2% right now.

--David

Site Admin

Post by Tracker - Clarion Support » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:32 pm

Hi David!

I think you have run into a possible timing error where the driver is not quite initialized before the printing begins.

Attached please find a replacement pxcdrv40.tpl. I have moved the PDF-XChange Driver 4.0 After Init embed point so that you can add some code. The indicated lines have !<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< in them
! Start of "PDF-XChange Driver 4.0 Before Init"
! [Priority 5000]
LOOP 2 TIMES !<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
! End of "PDF-XChange Driver 4.0 Before Init"
PXCDRV4_6:rtn = PXCDRV4_6.Init()
! Start of "PDF-XChange Driver 4.0 After Init"
! [Priority 5000]
IF PXCDRV4_6:rtn THEN BREAK. !<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
YIELD !<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
END !<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
IF ~PXCDRV4_6:rtn THEN RETURN ReturnValue. !<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
! End of "PDF-XChange Driver 4.0 After Init"
If the Init() method does not initialize correctly, it should loop around once more. YIELD is used to afford some time for the driver to internally initialize. If it STILL does not initialize correctly, at the IF ~PXCDRV4_6:rtn THEN RETURN ReturnValue. line, then it will exit via the RETURN ReturnValue call. Note that you can do other things to mark problem reports.
Attachments
pxcdrv40.zip
PDF-XChange Driver 4.0 Template
(31.43 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
Craig Ransom

dmjung
User

Post by dmjung » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:17 pm

Alas, this is still in version 3.6.

I see a "PXCDRV32.Init()" in the generated code. My thought is to OMIT() out the generated code and copy it to a following embed so I can add the looping. Sound OK?

--David

Site Admin

Post by Tracker - Clarion Support » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:29 am

Hi David!
I see a "PXCDRV32.Init()" in the generated code. My thought is to OMIT() out the generated code and copy it to a following embed so I can add the looping. Sound OK?
That should work.
Craig Ransom

Return to “PDF-XChange Drivers (only) API SDK - For Clarion For Windows Developers only Please”