Looking for Succes Code for Installation

This Forum is for the use of Clarion For Windows - Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers SDK (only) - Please use the PDF-Tools SDK Forum for Library DLL assistance.

Moderators: Tracker Support, TrackerSupp-Daniel, Chris - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Sean - Tracker, Tracker - Clarion Support, John - Tracker Supp, Tracker Supp-Stefan, Ivan - Tracker Software, Support Staff, moderators

JonPL
User

Looking for Succes Code for Installation

Post by JonPL » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:55 pm

We have a 64 bit Windows 2008 server running Terminal Services. The product that causes a problem is Prolaw. What it tries to do is install the PDFX3SA_sm.exe every time it launches. The band aid I am looking for is the return code that will tell Prolaw that the install was successful. My application developer will then write a simple program named the same (PDFX3SA_sm.exe) and simply have it run and return the "success code" your product submits.

To be frank, the current version is printing under TS but I am more than willing (and going) to update to the new version. Even with the new version, this error will still come up so I need to find a work around -- thus my suggestion.

Tracker - Clarion Support
Site Admin

Re: Looking for Succes Code for Installation

Post by Tracker - Clarion Support » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:21 pm

Hi Jon!

Could you please clarify a couple of points for me?

Are you the developers of Prolaw?

PDFX3SA_sm.exe should be installed ONCE by your main program install, and never touched again. I'm not sure why TS would keep trying to install it.
Craig Ransom
Tracker Software - Clarion Support
http://www.tracker-software.com

JonPL
User

Post by JonPL » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:28 pm

Nope. Not a developer for prolaw. I'm an the newtork technician and an application developer for an end user using prolaw. Prolaw is telling me they don't have a solution for Windows 2008/64Bit. I understand that pdf product should be only installed once but prolaw has it it autorun during start of the program to assure that the pdf program is installed.

Since prolaw is using the older code of pdf, the pdf code cannotvalidate that it was installed in a 64bit Windows 2008 server successfully so it keeps trying to install every time a user installs it. THerefore, I'd like to see if you have a return code so that I can write a program with the same nwame that returns a success code, which will stop the prolaw program from displaying an error which isn't true. The error, by the way, is NOT from your software. It's from prolaw saying it couldn't install the pdf sw... thus I am looking for the success return code from the pdf installation.

I am just trying to get the users to not see an error that really isn't an error.

Site Admin

Post by Tracker - Clarion Support » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:30 pm

Hi Jon!

According to the most current Windows Platform SDK documentation I have, a return value of S_OK (or zero=0) SHOULD be treated as "success" by any package capable of accessing the returned value from a progrram. (If you use ShellExecute to run the PDF-XChange install, please note that it does NOT return the return value, but a code that indicates whether ShellExecute thinks the PDF-XChange installran properly. The value is > 32 for success; value <= 32 indicates a "sad panda".)

I suggest trying a "stub program" that returns zero (0) and see if that satisfies Prolaw.

Frankly, I'm not sure they are checking the value at all. If they were, they could easily reset the autorun to turn off subsequent (re)install attempts.

That said, the only way that I am sure would reliably test for the presence of the PDF-XChange driver would be to Enumerate the device names (standard Windows function EnumPrinters) and check for "PDF-XChange" at the beginning of each name returned.
Craig Ransom

JonPL
User

Post by JonPL » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:39 am

The stub program is exactly what we created. Unfortunately it didn't work. Now at least it doesn't hault but it stops and says that the program did not install correctly and to contact administrator. We are returning a "0" as stated.

Any other ideas? (oh and thanks!)

Site Admin

Post by Tracker - Clarion Support » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:15 am

Hi Jon!

I'll check again, but Prolaw MAY be checking for something besides a runcode value.
Craig Ransom

Site Admin

Post by Tracker - Clarion Support » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:33 pm

Hi Jon!

Per the Project Manager:
As far, as I know, InnoSetup installer (which is used to build our .exe installers) returns the following exit codes:
  • 0 = Setup was successfully run to completion.
    1 = Setup failed to initialize.
    2 = The user clicked Cancel in the wizard before the actual installation started, or chose "No" on the opening "This will install..." message box.
    3 = A fatal error occurred while preparing to move to the next installation phase (for example, from displaying the pre-installation wizard pages to the actual installation process). This should never happen except under the most unusual of circumstances, such as running out of memory or Windows resources.
    4 = A fatal error occurred during the actual installation process.
    Note: Errors that cause an Abort-Retry-Ignore box to be displayed are not fatal errors. If the user chooses Abort at such a message box, exit code 5 will be returned.
    5 = The user clicked Cancel during the actual installation process, or chose Abort at an Abort-Retry-Ignore box.
    6 = The Setup process was forcefully terminated by the debugger (Run | Terminate was used in the IDE).
Before returning an exit code of 1, 3, or 4, an error message explaining the problem will normally be displayed.
HTH!
Craig Ransom

Return to “PDF-XChange Drivers (only) API SDK - For Clarion For Windows Developers only Please”