Clarion/File Explorer related question

This Forum is for the use of Clarion For Windows - Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers SDK (only) - Please use the PDF-Tools SDK Forum for Library DLL assistance.

Moderators: Tracker Support, TrackerSupp-Daniel, Chris - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Sean - Tracker, Tracker - Clarion Support, John - Tracker Supp, Tracker Supp-Stefan, Ivan - Tracker Software, Support Staff, moderators

kraj
User

Clarion/File Explorer related question

Post by kraj » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:30 am

I am trying to develop a solution which will enable me to convert HTML files to PDF server side.
The application would receive command line information containing the input file name and the target file name. It would need to use File Explorer to load the page locally, and automatically print it.

Has anyone done something like this before?

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:12 am

Hi,

You would need to use the PDF-XChange Printer drivers API to output the file(s) to PDF - not the PDF-Tools SDK dll library - and it is perfectly possible and reasonable use.

In the next 24/48 hours we will endeavour to modify one of the existing Capesoft demo app's to facilitate this.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com

kraj
User

Post by kraj » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:42 pm

I just installed the latest SDK and attempted to run the DOCPDF30 example app.
Upon running the application I am geting the following error message:

PDFXC3 - GlobalInit function failed.

Any ideas?

TIA,

Benjamin

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:26 pm

Hi,

Did you ensure you installed the PDF-XChange Print driver from the install components list ?
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support

kraj
User

Post by kraj » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:17 pm

Yes, I did.
However, I do not see it in the printers.

I will try to reinstal everything again and let you know what happens.

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Ok thanks - if you still have problems - please advise your Windows OS version and any Service packs installed and we will check here.

thanks

Best regards
Tracker Support

kraj
User

Post by kraj » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:47 pm

Can you please let me know once you have the Capesoft FE demo working? AS I mentioned in another thread, the shellexecute method always bring up the pritner dialog - so I can't use it in unattended mode.
I would like to try it and make sure everythin is working before upgrading the license.

Regards,

Benjamin

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:01 am

Hi Benjamin,

Craig is working on this now

Best regards
Tracker Support

kraj
User

Post by kraj » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:37 am

Thanks!

Your support continues, as always, to be first class.
I will keep monitoring the forum for the app.

This is great news - once I get the prrof of concept working I will be upgrading to the Pro version. Just need to make sure I can accomplish my intent.

Currently, that is the only app where I would need direct printing to the driver. All my present apps are working great creating PDF's directly with PDF Tools.

Once again, I cannot thank you enough for your ongoing support.

Tracker - Clarion Support
Site Admin

Post by Tracker - Clarion Support » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:01 pm

Hi Benjamin!

I have good, although not quite great news.

The concept seems feasible. The critical features of a "run silent" Html to PDF converter are there in both File Explorer, whose PrintMe() method has a switch to suppress the FE printer dialog, and also in PDF-XChange Driver which has a similar switch. The driver will have to be used as FE print does not generate Clarion-style page WMF's as far as I know.

However, when testing FE I fond that another necessary feature, the Callbacks, do not seem to be operating in any FE demo. It is likely that something needs to be set but the docs are a bit scanty, so I sent an email to Capesoft support for assistance, and hopefully they will respond Monday.
Craig Ransom
Tracker Software - Clarion Support

kraj
User

Post by kraj » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:33 am

Craig,

Thank you very much for investing time and effort into this.
After checking the FE documentation (and a short message to Capesoft about this), I also came to the conclusion that it was doable.

I did find one bit of information in the FE docs which you may find useful. I am not sure where the callbacks would come into play, because to be truthful I have not studied the low level ins-and-outs of either FE or the PDF-XChange API's. However, if you search for Registry in the FE docs, you will find that according to Capesoft, FE will use the default printer when using the "blind" print method, and mentions the registry keys needed to accomplish this. I don't know if this technique will suffice or not, but I figured I would point you to it just in csae you had not seen it.

Regards,

Benjamin

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:50 pm

Hi Benjamin,

The install now has been updated and includes a revised set of classes, updated Manual and new example also.

Please see the example Html2PDF.prj and Html2PDF.clw for the "silent running" of the HTML conversion

There is an added Appendix A in the PDF-XChange Driver 3.5 doc file that discusses this particular example.

Hope that helps.

http://www.tracker-software.com/downloads/dev/

Best regards
Tracker Support

Return to “PDF-XChange Drivers (only) API SDK - For Clarion For Windows Developers only Please”