PDF-XChange Dev + User - Can they coexist?

This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers SDK (only) - Please use the PDF-Tools SDK Forum for Library DLL assistance.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Sean - Tracker, Chris - Tracker Supp, Tracker Supp-Stefan, Ivan - Tracker Software, Andrew - Tracker Support, Tracker - Clarion Support, John - Tracker Supp, Support Staff, moderators

Mike
User

PDF-XChange Dev + User - Can they coexist?

Post by Mike » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:04 pm

We have developed a product based on PDF-XChange Pro SDK v.3 using the printer driver and API's. But errors are now being reported since a number of our customers have bought PDF-XChange for end users. I'm not aware of the specific problem, but I'm guessing there might be problems with the license, and thus watermarks in the prints when they are trying to print outside our application.

So my questions are:

- Can PDF-XChange Dev. edition coexist with PDF-XChange user edition? How can I solve the problem above? and are there other known problems and solutions I should know of.
- Can a mix of versions co-exist. We've invested in PDF-XChange v.4, but before I upgrade I need to know if,

1. Can PDF-XChange Dev v3. co-exist with PDF-XChange User edition v3 (same question as above)
2. Can PDF-XChange Dev v3. co-exist with PDF-XChange User edition v4
3. Can PDF-XChange Dev v4. co-exist with PDF-XChange User edition v3
4. Can PDF-XChange Dev v4. co-exist with PDF-XChange User edition v4

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: PDF-XChange Dev + User - Can they coexist?

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:06 am

Hi Mike,

short answer is yes - absolutely we designed the product specifically to work without issue this way as we have many developer clients who use the SDK's and then sell end user licenses for use externally with 3rd party software such as Office etc.

The Drivers API SDK is based on the End user products PDF-XChange Standard and PRO - the Lite version has no access to the API (in fact it does not exist in the Lite version)

So ideally if a version 3 or 4 user wants to use the driver externally they simply buy either PDF-XChange Standard or PRO (please note only V4 is now purchasable - but the V4 serials are backwards compatible with version 3) and can either download the latest release (in 99% of cases see below) and this will seamless update the release you have and they input their end user serial number as part of the install and away they go.

So lets say you have a client using your products - which in turn have our version 3 SDK driver API embedded they have 2 choices :

1: They can simply go to their printers list, select the PDF-XChange Driver installed by you, right click, select printer preferences, 'About' Window and in the code button option - paste their serial number - all done ! They can now print from any 3rd party application to PDF by selecting file -> Print etc.

However - the drawback of this is they will be losing out on the MS Office integration and other functionality only provided in the full end user install.

This is available here for version 3 :
http://www.tracker-software.com/downloa ... _releases/

2: They can install version 4 available here :

http://www.tracker-software.com/downloads/users/

And if you are using V4 also - they need do nothing else except copy/paste the serial number into the installer as requested and that’s it - they get all the MS office integration goodies etc with no more to do.

If you are still on V3 - they do as detailed here in option 2 and then just do the copy/paste of the serial number in the printer preferences as outlined in option if required - though in truth they will probably only use V4 externally anyway.

If you need any further info or help - fell free to come back - or call us for more info - tel numbers here :

http://www.tracker-software.com/contacts/

However - our UK office is moving this week - so would reccomened you call us here in Canada, if its this week.

cheers
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com