Extracting text form a pdf

This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers SDK (only) - Please use the PDF-Tools SDK Forum for Library DLL assistance.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Sean - Tracker, Chris - Tracker Supp, Tracker Supp-Stefan, Ivan - Tracker Software, Andrew - Tracker Support, Tracker - Clarion Support, John - Tracker Supp, Support Staff, moderators

Curt
User

Extracting text form a pdf

Post by Curt » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:39 pm

I need to extract data entered on a pdf form. I assume that all text on the page will be output, not just the data that was entered. I have the final version 3 product. Do you have a VB6 sample for extracting text using V3? Please send it if you do. Is there any additional functionality in text extraction using V4 over V3?

Lesya - Tracker
User

Re: Extracting text form a pdf

Post by Lesya - Tracker » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:25 pm

In V3 and V4 while extracting the text the data is not extracted.
When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.

Best regards - Tracker Support

Curt
User

Post by Curt » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:23 pm

I want to make sure that I understand your response. I have a form that is filled out in an application. The form has fixed questions and the user answers those questions. Their answers are filled into entry fields on the forms inside their application. I then use PDF-Xchange to print/convert that form (with both questions and answers) into a pdf, then use your text extraction on that pdf. Won't both the (fixed) questions and the user-entered answers be converted into text?

If so, is there an advantage in using V4 to do the text extraction over the capabilities in V3?

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:54 pm

Hi,

This should work - but reprinting a PDF is not always a good idea - depending on the fonts used - information could be lost and the file size affected.

It is better to extract the text as text and then user our PDF-XChange Viewer SDK to extract the form data.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com