Problem after upgrade with printing multiple pages

This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers SDK (only) - Please use the PDF-Tools SDK Forum for Library DLL assistance.

Moderators: Tracker Support, TrackerSupp-Daniel, Chris - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Sean - Tracker, Andrew - Tracker Support, Tracker - Clarion Support, John - Tracker Supp, Tracker Supp-Stefan, Ivan - Tracker Software, Support Staff, moderators

Curt
User

Problem after upgrade with printing multiple pages

Post by Curt » Tue May 13, 2008 7:29 pm

I have a problem which confounds me. I upgraded to the latest pdfsaver v. 3.6.0.131 from v 3.4.0.71 (as part of the PDF-XChange PRO 3 SDK package). I am testing on Win XP. Here’s the problem. My program (which I will call Capture here) is based on your example VBExCOM. It captures the printer output of a Forms program which sends a separate print command for each page of a form. I have set Capture to append the pages.

After a reboot of the computer, my Capture program works fine for a one page form, but hangs in a loop indefinitely when attempting to print-capture a form with more than one page. The progress bar runs continuously. If I Ctl-alt-delete both Capture and pdfSaver3, then restart Capture, everything works fine from then on. In other words, the first time I start Capture after a reboot, Capture hangs whenever printing a form with more than one page. After stopping Capture and restarting it, everything works fine from then on.

Below are the sequences of pdfsaver calls, both when working and when not:

1. First run of program after a reboot of computer, and printing a one page form:
OnPrintingStarted
OnPageStarted
OnPrintingFinished
OnPrintingStarted
OnPageStarted
OnPageFinished
OnPrintingStarted
OnFileSaved

Note that this works, but why does it call the first 3 commands to print a one page job and omit the OnPageFinished the first time?

2. Next I print a three page form
OnPrintingStarted
OnPageStarted
OnPrintingFinished
OnPrintingStarted

It goes through the above loop continuously, and the Progress bar runs continuously. I have to perform a Ctl-alt-delete for both Capture and pdfSaver3 to stop it.

2. I then restart Capture and print the same 3 page form as before. Now the sequence is:
OnPrintingStarted
OnPageStarted
OnPrintingFinished
OnPrintingStarted
OnPrintingStarted
OnPageStarted
OnPageFinished
OnPrintingStarted
OnFileSaved
OnPrintingStarted
OnPageStarted
OnPageFinished
OnPrintingStarted
OnFileSaved
OnPrintingStarted
OnPageStarted
OnPageFinished
OnPrintingStarted
OnFileSaved

It captures, and appends the three pages fine, but I still don’t understand why it always omits the OnPageFinished the first loop through each time.

Before installing the new pdfsaver, I had uninstalled the prior version, but I wonder whether there is some conflict with residue from the previous install. Also note that the Forms program works fine when printing to a regular printer.

I hope this helps you to isolate or suggest what may be going wrong.

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Problem after upgrade with printing multiple pages

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Wed May 14, 2008 10:48 pm

When you say you upgraded - did you upgrade the entire installation or just the PDFSaver3.exe ?

If so - thats not a good idea - you absolutely must - update the entire driver.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com

Curt
User

Post by Curt » Wed May 14, 2008 11:08 pm

I ran PDFX3SA_sm.exe, version 3.6.0.131, which I assume updates everything.

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Fri May 16, 2008 10:15 am

Hi Curt,

The update performed would be complete - I am afraid we are going to need a complete example project to investigate.

Could you please send a small sample project (source and compiled) with any supporting files that may be required along with some simple instructions on how to reproduce - you can post here (without any license info in your code please - and zipped) or if you prefer please email to usrfiles@tracker-software.com
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com