SMTP Debugging

This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers SDK (only) - Please use the PDF-Tools SDK Forum for Library DLL assistance.

Moderators: Tracker Support, TrackerSupp-Daniel, Chris - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Sean - Tracker, Andrew - Tracker Support, Tracker - Clarion Support, John - Tracker Supp, Tracker Supp-Stefan, Ivan - Tracker Software, Support Staff, moderators

musabio
User

SMTP Debugging

Post by musabio » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:04 pm

I am trying to debug failed attempts to send email via SMTP via the driver API. (MAPI works fine.) Is there a log file or some other way to capture information about the SMTP operation to help determine why it is failing (no response from STMP server, authentication error, bad header, etc.)?

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:28 pm

Hi,

I am afraid the only way to check out the cause is going to be to review your server logs.

Also - just to advise you there is one known issue we have not been able to resolve to date - sending to a server that does not authenticate, using empty strings.

HTH
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com

musabio
User

Post by musabio » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:04 pm

If you mean by server logs the Windows (XP Pro) event viewer, there are no entries relating to this. Mail senders would not normally have access to the SMTP server logs. Does the driver maintain its own error log somewhere?

Tracker - Clarion Support
Site Admin

Post by Tracker - Clarion Support » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:40 pm

Hi Musabio!

As John mentioned, we have an issue with unautheticated SMTP, i.e. servers which do not require authentication.

SMTP servers can maintain logs of conversations, and I think you need to access those to find out what the PDF-XChange Driver is trying to do. We don't maintain mail server logs.
Craig Ransom
Tracker Software - Clarion Support
http://www.tracker-software.com