Server process

This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers SDK (only) - Please use the PDF-Tools SDK Forum for Library DLL assistance.

Moderators: Tracker Support, TrackerSupp-Daniel, Chris - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Sean - Tracker, Andrew - Tracker Support, Tracker - Clarion Support, John - Tracker Supp, Tracker Supp-Stefan, Ivan - Tracker Software, Support Staff, moderators

sthoma
User

Server process

Post by sthoma » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:00 pm

Am I allowed to use PDFXchange as a conversion tool in a Mail server?
I would like to convert all incoming emails to pdf and store it in an archive system?
Which license do I need?
Can I convert html or xml files via api?

Siegfried Thoma.
Siegfried Thoma

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:13 pm

Hi Seigfried,

Yes - you can do both using the PDF-XChange Drivers API - you would need to ensure a suitable Viewer is installed on the server for the formats in question (e.g. IE or MS Word etc) and then use this application via OLE etc to 'print' the files to the driver - there is an example of doing just this in the Drivers API examples folder of the SDK for HTML using IE.

HTH
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com

sthoma
User

thank you

Post by sthoma » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:09 pm

Perfect, technically it does not seem to be a problem.

Unfortunately the normal license says:

"... but not servers ..."
and then there are some exceptions which I do know how to handle.

Is there a special license needed probably? if yes which one, how much does it cost?
Siegfried Thoma

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:04 pm

Hi,

If you are using the SDK - you may use on a LAN/intranet - but not an open web server.

So unless you are offering this as a web based service - the current License and cost will permit such use.

Hope that helps :)
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com

aprotec_richard
User

Post by aprotec_richard » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:45 am

Siegfried,

This is the voice of experience talking, but you might do well to look at this Microsoft support document about automating Word on a server first, it's possible to automate Word on a server but there are some fairly serious limitations that we have had to work round ourselves:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/257757
Richard Lucas
Senior Developer
AproTec International Limited

sthoma
User

Post by sthoma » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:56 am

aprotec_richard wrote: automating Word on a server first,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/257757
Thank you for the hint, This article is very instructive. We had similar experiences with office applications. For performance reasons we leave Word open, and watch the process itself.
We discovered a different windows behaviour in Server 2003 and XP, but we also worked around that.

In the current project, we "just" want to converter XML -> HTML -> PDF to archive it in a proper way. Unfortunately, We must not go via Printerdriver due to performance and limitations in the PDF created. (we have to merge several htmls into 1 pdf)

Adobe also provides an interface to do so but their licenses say "No Servers!".
I asked, but got no answer.

Since our policy is to obey licenses, we had to find another product...

The project should be finished by end of March, so I hope everything will be Ok then.
Siegfried Thoma