TIFF file size

This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's TIFF-XChange Printer Drivers SDK (All Versions).

Moderators: Tracker Support, TrackerSupp-Daniel, Chris - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Tracker - Clarion Support, John - Tracker Supp, Tracker Supp-Stefan, Ivan - Tracker Software, Support Staff, moderators

oclassen
User

TIFF file size

Post by oclassen » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:27 pm

I am looking toward using TIFF-XChange to support a client who no longer wants their reports as PDFs (with PDF XChange). How does the file size compare between the two products? I tested with Raster XChange (my system is 64 bit, but the actual installation will be on a 32 bit system) and the TIFF files size was 5 times the PDF size for the same report. ( 7 pages of text and multiple images on each page)
Thanks

Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: TIFF file size

Post by Will - Tracker Supp » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:18 pm

Hi oclassen,

Thanks for the post - the most likely cause of the larger files in comparisson to the Viewer, is that Raster-XChange is a far older product than the Viewer, and no development has been done on it in quite some time.

As for TIFF-XChange: I would highly recommend Raster-XChange over it as we are soon to be discontinuing TIFF-XChange. Also, Raster-XChange has a far greater chocie of output file types - TIFF-XChange is only capable of creating TIFF files, while Raster-XChange is capable of 15 different Raster formats (TIFF, BMP, PNG, JPEG, etc.). My suggestion to create smaller file sizes would be to change the compression and image settings in the driver, and to select a 'light' image format like a .png or .bmp file (though do note that while .bmp files are small, they are also usually the worst quality).

Hope that helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com