Upgraded from 2.x to 3.21 Now can't print

This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's TIFF-XChange Printer Drivers SDK (All Versions).

Moderators: Tracker Support, TrackerSupp-Daniel, Chris - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Tracker - Clarion Support, John - Tracker Supp, Tracker Supp-Stefan, Ivan - Tracker Software, Support Staff, moderators

shepdec
User

Upgraded from 2.x to 3.21 Now can't print

Post by shepdec » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:58 pm

I've used Tiff Xchchange 2.x for a long time with great success. I recently upgraded to 3.21 and now when I try to print, depending on the application running, it either closes the program, or creates a 0 byte, or other very small (6 byte) blank file.

For example, trying to print a PDF file out of Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0, will close the program while attempting to print and give the following error:
AcroRd32.exe has generated errors and will be closed by
Windows. You will need to restart the program.

An error log is being created

OK
This is on a system running Windows 2000 with SP4 installed.

shepdec
User

Post by shepdec » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:47 pm

It's kind of interesting... After not getting an answer on this forum, I tried to find an a support email. Nothing but sales, and references to this forum.

I thought I'd try uninstalling the program, and reinstalling it. Still crashed every time I tried to print something to tiff.

Then I downloaded the program again, and noticed something interesting:

The install file inside TIFFX3.zip I downloaded (that didn't work):

09/28/2005 09:47a 1,177,584 TIFFX3.exe

Ths install file inside the TIFFX3.zip file I downloaded today:

10/05/2005 09:27a 1,176,252 TIFFX3.exe

So, the file date changed, and so did the number of bytes, and guess what? It works now.

I'm dissapointed that I was not able to obtain timely technical support for this upgrade, and that there was no notice of this problem in the support forum, which could have saved me hours of trying to figure out what *I* was doing wrong.

I'm glad it works, it always worked before, except I upgraded computers and when I asked how I could re-download 2.x, I was told I couldn't and that I had to pay for an upgrade to 3.x.

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:25 am

Hi,

Your original post was made at 9:58 pm on Friday evening (please note we are UK based) and therefore was outside of office hours - weekday or weekend.

Today is Sunday and we are working - with respect, that is not unreasonable - weekend working is not mandatory here - but optional.

I am pleased you were able to resolve the issue you found by a fresh download - but the issue you report was not previously known or specifcially fixed and as such must have been related to another problem without knowing. As you can see from the forum here - there is no other similar problem reported.

Finally I cannot locate any email from you - to sales or any other email address.

This forum is now the first and primary means of support simply because it does not rely on the vagries of what has become of the entire email system for us and all internet users - we receive around 4000 spam emails a day despite aggressive filters and anti spam software - inevitabley we can no longer guarentee this (email) as a reliable means of contact for you or us - hence the much more reliable Web based forum available - which guarentees your post if successful, will be read and answered.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com

shepdec
User

Post by shepdec » Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:34 pm

It would be helpful if you would update the language on your support page. It tends to indicate that you can email for support, gives instructions on how to avoid the spam filter, but never gives an email address that I could find. I wasn't sure if I was going blind, and wasted a lot of time looking and re-looking at the support information. Your contact page also indicates that a message here is "THE BEST WAY TO GET INSTANT SUPPORT!". If you can't deliver it, then it's probably best not to say that.

I was in the process of writing an email to the sales address when I decided to check and see if the file being distributed was different than the one I downloaded a few days ago when I purchased the upgrade.

FYI, just to see what would happen, I took the original file yesterday and installed it on two other workstations (both running Win2K) and it didn't work on them either. I haven't tired it on 98 or XP. It might just be something to do with Win2K, or perhaps some program that all three machines are running. But, the latest is running fine on the machine it is intended for, and of course, I have removed the non-working copy from the other machines.

Other than my criticism of your support, which I hope you accept as constructive, I have no complaints. This is an excellet product, and I have enjoyed using it.

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:24 pm

Thanks for your comments and criticism of a constructive nature is always welcome. :)

Whilst I accept that support when delivered by any means other than the telephone - by the individual who provides the answers can not by definition be 'instant' - it would be rare these days to get truly 'Instant' support by any means - be it Telephone, Email or Forum.

But in electronic terms - I would suggest that our support (however delivered) is as good as any available and better than most - and as such - we have nothing to apologise for.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com